The Student Room Group

I'm frightened

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Helenia
A CTPA gives you a significant dose of radiation, which increases your risk of getting various cancers later in life. In someone like you, where the chances of you having a PE are minimal (you have had two negative Dopplers, and I don't know the rest of the clinical details, but if they thought you might be high risk you'd have been scanned by now), the risks of the scan outweigh the benefits and I'd be very surprised if you managed to find an NHS hospital willing to scan you. Of course you'll find someone willing to take your money if you try hard enough.

I don't know what is wrong with you, if anything at all, but please try to relax and stop scaring yourself by looking up horror stories on the internet.

Realistically though, can x ray scans show up clots? Many people on the DVT forum say it can't, but only a CT scan can. One Dr I saw said ''You've had 2 x ray scans, which is reassuring to know that there are no clots on the chest'', but another Dr said ''Well if you had a big PE on the chest, then the x ray would show it''. {He didn't sound too confident}. I did have a blood test however (which is what started this whole process off) showing I had a high D Dimer. :dontknow: Ooo I don't know anymore, all I know it's beginning to take over my mind, and send me slightly nutty.

I'm not deliberately trying to scare myself with internet, but I was researching it as I didn't have much info from Drs or those on the special ward.
Original post by Anonymous

Post 14 wasn't directed at you, by the way, I appreciate your response, so thank you.

Mum is thinking perhaps the problem with my leg is linked to my back? As I have had a lot of trouble with my back in the past. But my back doesn't hurt at the moment :dontknow:. As for the chest, I have no idea, although Drs think it might be a viral infection, hence the 2nd dose of antibiotics, and the amount of crap I am coughing up - (greeny, yellowy phelgm, apologies for the description, which on 2 occasions has had a little red streak of blood in it. That I had before, which resulted in me going to A&E, Dr there basically ignored it, but told me to go back if it's red, pink, frothy.

Ooo ok thanks. I thought the whole process was just that you go to the private hospital, and they get the ball rolling. But it's not quite that simple.

If they think it's viral then they will not have given you antibiotics. As a first year even I know not to prescribe antibiotics for viral infections.
Reply 22
Original post by Helenia

Thanking you for the information.
Reply 23
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
If they think it's viral then they will not have given you antibiotics. As a first year even I know not to prescribe antibiotics for viral infections.

Well one Dr listened to my chest, and she could hear it rattling. So she put it down to a viral infection. But because she wasn't 100% sure, that is when I was sent to A&E to be checked out, but later sent home. So I went back to the Dr, and a diff. Dr heard it and said yes the chest is rattling. So he gave me the first course of antibiotics. That course finished but I personally felt no diff. So I went back again, saw a diff. Dr who said the chest is no longer rattling, but gave me another course of antibiotics. :frown:

This is what I mean, im just being fed tablet, after tablet, after tablet, and im sick of it , hence why my parents are thinking of going private if this course doesn't work:frown: :frown: :frown:. My chest is no better, the sides are burning, it hurts to breathe in, which is causing me to cough, which is often a dry cough, the pain is piercing through to my back and my shoulders. :frown:

Well one Dr listened to my chest, and she could hear it rattling. So she put it down to a viral infection. But because she wasn't 100% sure, that is when I was sent to A&E to be checked out, but later sent home. So I went back to the Dr, and a diff. Dr heard it and said yes the chest is rattling. So he gave me the first course of antibiotics. That course finished but I personally felt no diff. So I went back again, saw a diff. Dr who said the chest is no longer rattling, but gave me another course of antibiotics. :frown:

This is what I mean, im just being fed tablet, after tablet, after tablet, and im sick of it , hence why my parents are thinking of going private if this course doesn't work:frown: :frown: :frown:. My chest is no better, the sides are burning, it hurts to breathe in, which is causing me to cough, which is often a dry cough, the pain is piercing through to my back and my shoulders. :frown:

Well if they're giving you antibiotics they must think it's bacterial. Or you had a viral infection and you have a secondary bacterial infection.

Apart from that, I can't be of any more help :colondollar:
Reply 25
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Well if they're giving you antibiotics they must think it's bacterial. Or you had a viral infection and you have a secondary bacterial infection.

Apart from that, I can't be of any more help :colondollar:

:dontknow: who knows? . . Your guess is as good as mine (although you're more clued up than me:colondollar:).

All I ask for is the chest pain to settle, that is all I want, so I can sleep properly. :frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 26
seems you are experiecing some hard time. keep strong, strong..
Reply 27
Original post by aliceking
seems you are experiecing some hard time. keep strong, strong..

Thanks, I will try.
Reply 28
:frown: :frown: I really would appreciate if MATURE people replied to my thread. When someone hasn't been well for x amount of weeks, replying with stupid comments is not what I asked for. :frown: :frown:

Idiots

WTF. I WAS EXPLAINING WHAT THEY DID, I WASN'T DOING IT.

I even apologised on their behalf.
Reply 29
Original post by AshleyT
WTF. I WAS EXPLAINING WHAT THEY DID, I WASN'T DOING IT.

I even apologised on their behalf.

LoL Yes I know you were explaining what they were doing. I wasn't having a pop @ you, at all. That's my fault, I didn't explain myself properly in that post.
Is the pain over your entire chest of localised to one area? And how long have you been coughing up the phlegm? Are you a smoker? Have you been abroad recently? Is the pain constant or does it come and go? Does anything make the pain better/worse or is it better/worse at certain times of the day?

Sorry for all the questions :tongue: Just a few things I was wondering when I was reading your posts. Hope you get it figured out soon!
Reply 31
LoL Yes I know you were explaining what they were doing. I wasn't having a pop @ you, at all. That's my fault, I didn't explain myself properly in that post.

I suggest you start Tai Chi and visit a chinese medical store they seem to have very good solutions for problems such as body pain's.
Tai Chi will help get your mind of things and is very good for your body both physically and mentally. :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by tibbles209

Is the pain over your entire chest of localised to one area? The pain is in the centre of my chest (feels like someone is sat on my chest), the pain is also at the sides of my rib cage, sometimes burning. I also get piercing sharp pain, which sometimes shoots across my chest. It is starting to disturb my sleep, because I can't sleep on my sides or my back that comfortably.

And how long have you been coughing up the phlegm? Coughing up phelgm is on and off. Sometimes it's clear, sometimes it's greeny/yellow and on 2 occasions I've had a small, tiny red streak in the muck.

Are you a smoker?

No I don't smoke, never have.

Have you been abroad recently? I went to the US end of Aug - beginning of Sept. Spent 18days there.

Is the pain constant or does it come and go? The pain is there all the time. Sometimes when I breathe in deeply, I can feel it. Repeating it, sometimes the pain isn't there.

Does anything make the pain better/worse or is it better/worse at certain times of the day?

I was at work yesterday, and I felt odd twinges, but I didn't know if that is the usual or what I was doing was making it worse.

Sorry for all the questions :tongue: Just a few things I was wondering when I was reading your posts. Hope you get it figured out soon!

I am also a physically fit person. Im not overweight and exercise on a regular basis.
Reply 33
Original post by Bruce_Lee
I suggest you start Tai Chi and visit a chinese medical store they seem to have very good solutions for problems such as body pain's.
Tai Chi will help get your mind of things and is very good for your body both physically and mentally. :smile:

People have suggested I try Pilates? Might give that a bash and see how I get on, when I can overcome the worse of this. I'm not popping anymore pills though. After this batch of medicines, will fight it out naturally.
Well, I've not got a clue =/ Doesn't fit in with anything we learned about in our respiratory block, especially with the other symptoms you have elsewhere too. It's interesting that your D-dimer was raised though... I hope you get some answers soon :frown:
Reply 35
Original post by tibbles209
Well, I've not got a clue =/ Doesn't fit in with anything we learned about in our respiratory block, especially with the other symptoms you have elsewhere too. It's interesting that your D-dimer was raised though... I hope you get some answers soon :frown:

The medical professionals have no idea whatsoever either :/ - as the Dr on Thursday called me ''I am a mystery'' :/.

It's just frustrating not knowing what is happening or making me feel unwell and debilitated. :frown:.
Reply 36
People have suggested I try Pilates? Might give that a bash and see how I get on, when I can overcome the worse of this. I'm not popping anymore pills though. After this batch of medicines, will fight it out naturally.

Yes i agree you should go for the natural approach stuffing more pills into your system will not reduce your condition but maintain it.
I would highly reccomend TaiChi instead of pilates, pilates concept is to use the mind to control the movement of your muscles. This will not neccesarily reduce the pain and maybe it could increase it. Tai Chi will give you a much more beneficial form of excercise as it is not that active and has a ton of advantages for your internal system rather than external. I suggest you read up on wiki :smile:
It could be numerous issues rather than one issue causing a whole host of symptoms? This would presumably make it harder to diagnose what's wrong with you. Agree with everybody else though, don't use the internet to self diagnose if you can help it. When my mum had cancer she was told to steer clear of internet forums etc altogether. They always outline the worst case scenario and are not beneficial in any way.
Just keep going back until you feel better, nothing wrong with a bit of pestering. Maybe keep a detailed log book of your symtoms, updating it every time you feel a pain - what it feels like, where it is, what time it is, what you were doing at the time etc, as the more information you can give to your doctors the better I would guess.
Hope you feel better soon :smile:
Reply 38
Realistically though, can x ray scans show up clots? Many people on the DVT forum say it can't, but only a CT scan can. One Dr I saw said ''You've had 2 x ray scans, which is reassuring to know that there are no clots on the chest'', but another Dr said ''Well if you had a big PE on the chest, then the x ray would show it''. {He didn't sound too confident}. I did have a blood test however (which is what started this whole process off) showing I had a high D Dimer. :dontknow: Ooo I don't know anymore, all I know it's beginning to take over my mind, and send me slightly nutty.

I'm not deliberately trying to scare myself with internet, but I was researching it as I didn't have much info from Drs or those on the special ward.

If you have an infection (which it sounds like you do, both from your symptoms and what they've heard on your chest), that can raise your D-dimer - it's a notoriously unreliable test and a positive result absolutely does NOT mean that there is definitely a DVT/PE. Large clots would produce visible changes on an X-ray but smaller ones would not - but the chance of you having a clot are very low, so I can still see why they don't want to do at CTPA.

I've not examined you myself so I can't say anything for sure, but it does not sound likely that you have a clot anywhere. I think trying some different things to help you relax is probably a very good idea.
If the doctors can't find anything wrong with you then it's probably psychosomatic, i.e. the brain causes actual damage to the body with negative thoughts. I'm not making this up. It's basically the opposite of placebo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending