Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are CGP books good enough for you to get an A grade also are they worth it for a levels.

Im doing Business/Sociology/Maths
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Never used them for A Level. Got me A* at GCSE tho...

I reckon they would be quite good for Maths as it's a right/wrong thing, perhaps not so good for Business/Sociology.

ReputationRep:
    Naa, they are good for last minute revision, but I would doubt that they would get you an A. They don't always have enough information and pretty muck lack depth when it comes to explaining certain topics.

I would go for the Oxford University Press or Nelson Thornes books. They might be a bit expensive and some times overloaded with further information, but would definitely get you an A if you use them efficiently through out the year.

ReputationRep:
    For GCSE they were amazing but no they won't be good for A-Levels to get high grades. They are still good for quick revision notes but don't rely on them completely.

ReputationRep:
    I got a Maths A grade at AS Level with the CGP Maths revision guide. It had exam practise questions as well as quick tests at the end of topics. I was used to using the books though-did all my learning out of them while being taught at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leala4628)
    I got a Maths A grade at AS Level with the CGP Maths revision guide. It had exam practise questions as well as quick tests at the end of topics. I was used to using the books though-did all my learning out of them while being taught at home.
    What board did u do a level maths?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    They're fine for A-Levels as long as you don't use them exclusively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    They're fine for A-Levels as long as you don't use them exclusively.

This.

CGP books are amazing. It's best you read them first before going on to your official text books because they outline and make some topics and techniques easy to understand that may appear to be in another language in any other text. Everything contained is suited exactly for the syllabus, nothing more and nothing less. They realise we're just students and tone down their way of writing.

Albeit it's best not to use them exclusively as they can lack intricate detail which may be required for the top marks. That being said, CGP books were the saviour of my A Level Physics and Mechanics/Stats exams, and I've achieved As/A*s in all the exams I've had them available for. Definitely worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sasukekun)
    This.

CGP books are amazing. It's best you read them first before going on to your official text books because they outline and make some topics and techniques easy to understand that may appear to be in another language in any other text. Everything contained is suited exactly for the syllabus, nothing more and nothing less. They realise we're just students and tone down their way of writing.

Albeit it's best not to use them exclusively as they can lack intricate detail which may be required for the top marks. That being said, CGP books were the saviour of my A Level Physics and Mechanics/Stats exams, and I've achieved As/A*s in all the exams I've had them available for. Definitely worth it.
    Since i barely passed last year and i want A's this year i have been reading the CGP book for biology and chemistry since september. My first exam is on January the 11th so basically if i start reading the official textbook for around 4 hours a day till 11th december and then start doing past papers while reading the official textbook till the 5th of january and then start reading the CGP book and do past papers from the 5th throughout my exams....Do you think this is a good strategy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skaterkid)
    What board did u do a level maths?
    OCR MEI

ReputationRep:
    One of the Maths ones has a page all about cows...

They are useful for revision but if you don't understand them you have to use a text book or ask a teacher because the CGP books are way too simple for things like biology.
    I also found that in Maths they skipped steps and assumed you knew what happened and how one thing got to another...
    And again there is the cows

ReputationRep:
    I've found that CGP guides can be quite useful for some subjects, such as maths and sciences for example, as all of the information is clear and easy to grasp. However, they do seem to oversimplify things occasionally (quite a lot really) in order to make concepts easier to understand, so you'd find it difficult to get an A grade using them exclusively. The best thing to do is use the CGP guides in conjunction with your course textbook (if you have one) and past papers. Lots and LOTS of past papers. They are honestly the best way to revise, especially for something like maths. CGP guides are more for last minute revision to refresh your memory before the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Cgp books for revision can get you full marks in science tbh but only if you use them properly. Most people just read through the book for revision Reading each page once at an average speed. I read each page over 15 minutes very slowly and memorise every bit of info unless isn'tp a joke or something like that

ReputationRep:
    i only used cgp books for my gcse's and i got three a* in bio, chem and phy so they are well worth it!

ReputationRep:
    im not sure, i might get them. they were great at gcse. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    i find they're really good to refresh your memory but only after you've already learnt the stuff from class using those big clunky books that have aaall the information
    and a plus, they're colourful, and cheap (only £2.50 each from my school)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manic_fuzz)
    i find they're really good to refresh your memory but only after you've already learnt the stuff from class using those big clunky books that have aaall the information
    and a plus, they're colourful, and cheap (only £2.50 each from my school)
    This is pretty much why I got mine for Biology for £2.50 it is worth it even if it only helps a little.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.