Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm considering applying to UCL for psychology and on their website it says -

" two Science subjects (Double Award is acceptable) must be offered at a minimum of grade B."

I did get B at Science in GCSE however I'm not sure what course I did, on my GCSE certificates I got:

June 2009-

AQA Additional Science (grade B)
    AQA Science (grade B)

June 2008-

AQA Science (grade C)

I emailed UCL but they've yet to respond and I want to send my UCAS off asap at this point so could anyone tell me if Additional science is known as Double Award? Basically do I meet the requirements, I'm aware grade B still isn't great but I'm stronger in terms of alevels, personal statement and so on so I just want to know if I meet this requirement.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Yes the Science and Additional Science GCSEs are together known as the double award.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fGDu)
    Yes the Science and Additional Science GCSEs are together known as the double award.
    Thanks, can anyone confirm this? Or link me anywhere that states it?

cheers

ReputationRep:
    Double Award Science
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the United Kingdom, Double Award Science is the combined study of GCSE biology, chemistry and physics that results in two GCSEs. The double award is not as in-depth as studying the individual sciences, and unfortunately a pupil choosing this subject has less subjects to choose from at GCSE. Those passing their GCSEs in double award science can progress to A Levels in science subjects.

In September 2006, a new GCSE science system was introduced, whereby students can pursue either one GCSE in science or GCSEs in science and additional science. The new courses place more emphasis upon "the thinking behind the doing".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fGDu)
    Double Award Science
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the United Kingdom, Double Award Science is the combined study of GCSE biology, chemistry and physics that results in two GCSEs. The double award is not as in-depth as studying the individual sciences, and unfortunately a pupil choosing this subject has less subjects to choose from at GCSE. Those passing their GCSEs in double award science can progress to A Levels in science subjects.

In September 2006, a new GCSE science system was introduced, whereby students can pursue either one GCSE in science or GCSEs in science and additional science. The new courses place more emphasis upon "the thinking behind the doing".
    Thanks, guess I'll try my luck and apply UCL then if I meet the basic requirements

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.