Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been researching into IB and understand it is very difficult to get into.

At the moment I reckon my chances are very slim. I am going to gain at least a 2.1 (probably a 2.1 though) through an undergraduate Masters in Chemistry...at Loughborough... The only work experience I have is through 1 year self employment where I ran my own takeaway business in which I did all the finances for myself as well (not that it's hard though :/).

I'm thinking if I do a postgraduate masters in a financial discipline, at a good university (the best I can get myself into) and come out with excellent results then maybe my chances will improve some. Maybe coupled with an internship before the start of my postgraduate masters.

What do you think, am I right or wrong? Also what courses can you suggest for postgraduate level and where, considering my 2.1 Masters in Chemistry.

You might see me in other forums asking about other jobs too . I'm just trying to find out as much as I can in areas of interest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aidin)
    I have been researching into IB and understand it is very difficult to get into.

At the moment I reckon my chances are very slim. I am going to gain at least a 2.1 (probably a 2.1 though) through an undergraduate Masters in Chemistry...at Loughborough... The only work experience I have is through 1 year self employment where I ran my own takeaway business in which I did all the finances for myself as well (not that it's hard though :/).

I'm thinking if I do a postgraduate masters in a financial discipline, at a good university (the best I can get myself into) and come out with excellent results then maybe my chances will improve some. Maybe coupled with an internship before the start of my postgraduate masters.

What do you think, am I right or wrong? Also what courses can you suggest for postgraduate level and where, considering my 2.1 Masters in Chemistry.

You might see me in other forums asking about other jobs too . I'm just trying to find out as much as I can in areas of interest
    Try your very best to get a first class honours degree in your undergraduate, and stress your entrepreneurship from your self-employment, and you'll have a shot at an IB job.

Don't take 'no' for an answer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aidin)

Having a degree in Chemistry isnt an issue. At most universities, Chemistry is sufficiently mathematical.

Your biggest hurdle will be to overcome the screening process with Loughborough. Try and get a first, if not, just stress the ECs.

Doing a post-grad degree is a waste of time and money.

(Original post by JakeF)
      Having a degree in Chemistry isnt an issue. At most universities, Chemistry is sufficiently mathematical.

Your biggest hurdle will be to overcome the screening process with Loughborough. Try and get a first, if not, just stress the ECs.

Doing a post-grad degree is a waste of time and money.
      Why do you believe in the lottery? Because you got lucky or because you can step back and really see that it "works"?

He's better off trying to dodge it rather than partake. David didn't beat Goliath by wearing the unnatural armour and using a weapon he didn't ever use.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by President_Ben)
      Why do you believe in the lottery? Because you got lucky or because you can step back and really see that it "works"?

He's better off trying to dodge it rather than partake. David didn't beat Goliath by wearing the unnatural armour and using a weapon he didn't ever use.
      I dont believe in the lottery, but it is the most accessible way for many, including the OP by the sounds of it, to get a foot in the door. Maybe not at the boutiques, but certainly at the BBs.

Ben, you know i share a similar viewpoint about the application process with you, but unfortunately its difficult to circumvent easily/successfully.

PS, see you on New Years.

Exactly that. If you can't work it out, you'll never make it.

And from the following question, yeah, you'll never make it.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Aidin)
        All I know is that a minimum of a 2.1 is required and a lot of degrees are accepted which is so ambiguous to me as to mean nothing. Yes I could go and find this out myself but I have more important things to worry about at this moment in time. So I would rather post here and get some answer. I can work out anything I want to if I cared to. EC however could, and does, mean plenty of different things to me and as I said before, time is not what I have in the following few weeks. I'm not going to stress myself over job applications at this moment either. I just want to GAUGE IDEAS.
        I know Ben is abrasive, but candidly, this leaves me wondering why anyone should take the time to help you.

What I will say is that there is a site that lists every hedge fund on Earth with the aim of being the middle man between the funds and the HNWIs, and you would be able to join it for a few days without having to pay using your student email (the guys are cool) so you can note the addresses and phone numbers of the funds that interest you.

It's not hard to find. Just use google.

You ask something that is basically, stupid.

I tell you that it is stupid.

Your options at that point include
          1) apologise (pointless)
          2) moan about it (pointless)
          3) fix it (you didn't)

If you're that far off the pace, you're a dead duck for a long time.

ReputationRep:
          First of all no one cares about your grades. Unless you have high grades from Oxbridge/LSE why would any recruiter be impressed by just grades?

I go to Loughborough and had a good 5-6 front office interviews now (only one BB though) all for S&T. Will a masters help from somewhere like LSE? Ofcourse, because they have the societies and conferences to get you out there networking with bankers. Playing the application lottery is getting more and more pointless as time goes on.

Hell.. My housemate got an internship in a top 10 PE fund and got a 3rd in his first and second year. He just knew the right people in the right place to get in(well his parents did). Get a 1st or a 2.1 I don't think it makes that much difference...

All the 2000 other applicants can bring that to the table.

Will Loughborough be enough on its own? Possible, but not very easy to pull off. A masters degree is a sensible idea, but make sure the rest of you CV stacks up before you take one(IE get an internship/temp, maybe slip a CFA L1 in there). Otherwise its not that much help.

PS; everyone without an offer will be going through app/exam pressures right now. If you can't deal with that then I wouldn't even consider a career like this...

You're still so far behind, that you're a dead duck. (Bad) luck? A sign that you're not actually motivated? Whatever it is. You're way off the pace.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Aidin)
            Thank you for a sensible reply [email protected]

It's not exam pressure or academic pressure at all. It's simply because, regardless of whether I can get in without a Masters, I am going to be doing a postgraduate masters anyway. SO I am in no rush to apply at this moment in time. I can handle pressure better than most people here I bet...Try running and working in a takeaway business in one city, with a time consuming course at university in another city and helping out disabled non-English speaking parents in yet another city all at the same time with as little as 2-3hours of sleep a day.

My lack of knowledge in the area of IB is simply because I don't need to worry about applying at this time; I am doing a postgraduate course regardless, the point of this thread was to know if any particular postgraduate course would help if at all. I have about at least 6 months of research time before the time to apply is right for me.

Ben, if you weren't so ignorant and had some degree of problem deducing skills, you would have figured this out (in reference to the previous paragraph)...

Everyone starts their research somewhere, I decided to start here and in plenty of time too.

I have decided to just go on with an engineering masters. The reasoning is simple, I want to keep my options open and I'm not sure where I want to be yet. This will mean that I have plenty of time to consider what I want to do and to research all job types that interest me. If after researching IB, I do not like it (so far, nothing to say I won't) then I still have my engineering route to follow.
            If you get to 22-24 and you have no evidence of interest on your CV of the industry, you will get very few interviews. Leaving it until then is a mistake. You choose what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
            1. Do the FSA exams (securities, derivs, regulation) Theyre expensive but do them.
            2. Do the CFA exam (Level 1)
            3. Do a masters degree at LSE or Oxbridge

(Original post by Aidin)
              Won't the majority of people be 21 once they finish education anyway??? I don't see the harm in being 22 if the year was spent doing a masters and an internship.
              Pretty much too late for an internship this summer.

And Ben, if I want to catch up on something then I CAN... Just because I did not look into this job pre-university or during the first 2 years of university does not make me far behind. I know I can catch up on 2 years worth on knowledge in just 1 month, I've demonstrated this before and I don't need to show you I can do it.
              Given that I'm the one of the few (if not only) people on this forum that has actual hiring demand and power - it would probably be well worth demonstrating it to me. Although, I don't think you have anything to demonstrate since you seem much more interested in moaning rather than fixing.

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by JakeF)
              If you get to 22-24 and you have no evidence of interest on your CV of the industry, you will get very few interviews. Leaving it until then is a mistake. You choose what you want to do.
              Alot of Associates, career switchers and mature students would disagree with that.

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by [email protected])
              Alot of Associates, career switchers and mature students would disagree with that.
              Dont argue for the sake of arguing. My point was a perfectly valid one. Re-read, it doesnt say none, it says few. People on this forum just love posting with the sole aim of disagreeing with someone for the sake of it.

As a caveat, of the 3 you listed, I dont know why you listed Associates, and how many of the other 2 do you see? Not many is the answer. How mature do you want to get? 24 is probably the cut off for a grad programme without any kind of previous internship.

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by Aidin)
              I will have just reached 22 after finishing the masters and if I do decide to go this route I will definitely look into internships for the summer coming anyway (as I said in the original post) which I'm a sure is a sign of interest.

Won't the majority of people be 21 once they finish education anyway??? I don't see the harm in being 22 if the year was spent doing a masters and an internship.

It wouldn't take me more than a month of research to get what I need to know about the industry in depth. Which leaves me exactly 9 months to gain interest and show it beofre I start ym masters at which time I would be applying for this If I am interested.

And Ben, if I want to catch up on something then I CAN... Just because I did not look into this job pre-university or during the first 2 years of university does not make me far behind. I know I can catch up on 2 years worth on knowledge in just 1 month, I've demonstrated this before and I don't need to show you I can do it.

If you don't have anything useful to bring to this thread then why bother posting at all? Stop being so cryptic and cynical and explain why yourself in sensible English why you think I am so far behind?

And thanks drugs, I'll look into those.
              So far, you have shown very little interest in the actual industry itself. You have expressed no natural inclination. What has made you think of going into it? Id hazard a guess that itd be the differential in earning potential between chemistry-related jobs and banking-related. Thats not enough.

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by JakeF)
              Dont argue for the sake of arguing. My point was a perfectly valid one. Re-read, it doesnt say none, it says few. People on this forum just love posting with the sole aim of disagreeing with someone for the sake of it.

As a caveat, of the 3 you listed, I dont know why you listed Associates, and how many of the other 2 do you see? Not many is the answer. How mature do you want to get? 24 is probably the cut off for a grad programme without any kind of previous internship.

There was a 40 year old on an analyst internship in 2008!

I don't think age is quite as strict as you make it out to be. Not everyone is 100% set on a banking career at the age of 16.

Generally I think this article sums it up; http://www.mergersandinquisitions.co...tment-banking/

ReputationRep:
              Lol Aidin you ****ing champ!!!!!!!

I don't think age is quite as strict as you make it out to be. Not everyone is 100% set on a banking career at the age of 16.

Generally I think this article sums it up; http://www.mergersandinquisitions.co...tment-banking/
              Uhhh one person, 2 years ago..... dude that's not changing the mean haha! Yes there is a bit of variance, but most people should, and will, generally have the motivation to go into banking/markets well ingrained into their psyche by say 19/20 years of age.

ReputationRep:

Accenture hit 0.01c per share during the flash crash this year. Its rare, unusual, and very very unlikely to be the norm. Do not quote one off events as categoric evidence in an attempt to prove your point. I admire your persistence, but its clutching at straws a little.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            What newspaper do you read/prefer?
            Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.