Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Conservatives & Labour have humiliated Britain Watch

ReputationRep:
    Conservative party politicians lined up before the general election to promise that they would run a "pro-American regime" and buy more arms from the US if they came to power this year, the leaked American embassy cables show.

Despite British leaders' supportive stance, the dispatches also reveal – in what some will see as humiliating detail – how US diplomats in London are amused by what they call Britain's "paranoid" fears about the so-called special relationship.

One said the anxious British attitude "would often be humorous if it were not so corrosive" and that it was tempting to take advantage of this neurosis to "make London more willing to respond favourably when pressed for assistance". The UK was said to offer "unparalleled" help in promoting America's aims.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...l-relationship

Both the previous and current governments have done nothing more than brown nose the USA and have ultimately humiliated Britain turning it into a poodle nation of the USA.

How much will it take for our government to end our "special relationship" with that wretched country and get more involved with our European countries, such as Germany and France that we actually have something in common with.

ReputationRep:
    our country is being run by cowering idiots

ReputationRep:
    Shoot them all.

ReputationRep:
    We have almost nothing in common with France or Germany.

On religious grounds, they are both predominantly catholic.
    On the head of state, they are both republics.
    On monetary grounds, we have fiscal sovereignty due to not being in the Eurozone.

Brown nosing to America is not a good thing, but to replace it with brown nosing to other EU members is even worse.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ lol at Bazlehman post.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    From reading the cabel I got the feeling the US felt that the fact the UK thought it was loosing the special relationship was quite a bad thing. The US does need the UK that much is obvious. If you finish the qoute you see the diplomat urged them not to keep the UK off balance with regards of the relationship and to actually reassure the country.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. Americanism is responsible for some of the worst problems we are beginning to face in Britain: obesity, rampant consumerism, destructive foreign wars and a homogenised, vapid lack of culture.

These are not British problems, but they are becoming so. The closer we are to Europe, the better.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

We aren't a superpower anymore.

Get over it...

ReputationRep:
    They've turned our country into a shambles.

Maybe one day a great leader will rise, after these arsholes have ruined it.

ReputationRep:
    why do we have to be either europes ***** or americas *****? skynews literally masturbate over the USA ....why cant we just be independent?!

ReputationRep:
    indeed,the only thing we have in common with the states is our language and they have even butchered that,oh and the fact we like to police the world.thats another one,i have never believed there to be a 'special' relationship as it never goes any further than jump and how high,america's special relationship is with israel.

(Original post by karateworm)
    These are not British problems, but they are becoming so. The closer we are to Europe, the better.
    im sorry,but i have to disagree here.the EU is ten times worse - the structure of the eu is like that of the soviet union ,endless unelected bureacracy that can decide what you do and what you say and you cant do -anything- about it.

i dont know if you were reffering to the eu or just europe in general but.....im still going to use this post to vent my frustration ;P

(Original post by nothos)
    We have almost nothing in common with France or Germany
    actually! i like to think we have alot in common with both! - we all tried for world domination at one point or another.and the three of us have had the most success (not that i .........condone it or anything) but other than that there is almost nothing there,you go to germany you see happy people,you go to france you see eloquent polite people(at least...........i did) you go here you see moaning cynical *******s :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nothos)

On monetary grounds, we have fiscal sovereignty due to not being in the Eurozone.

Brown nosing to America is not a good thing, but to replace it with brown nosing to other EU members is even worse.
    If you think we have nothing in common with France and Germany, you have clearly never been to France and/or Germany.

On religious grounds, both are at a similar level of non-belief as we are in the UK according to Gallup. Religion is an irrelevance in most of modern British, French and German societies. In contrast a real majority of Americans think that religion is important, and again a real majority practice a faith. If you want to get elected to virtually any office in the South or the Mid-west (outside of Chicago), you have to publicly and vociferously declare your "Christian values".

With regards to heads of state, Germany operates a presidential parliamentary system where the president is almost entirely ceremonial, and France operates a semi-presidential system where the prime minister is just as involved in running the government as the president is. Both ultimately vest a lot of power in their parliaments, like the UK. This is of course in huge contrast to the United States where the head of state has actual responsibilities in the executive branch.

Given that France and Germany are the economic muscle behind the Eurozone, they very much retain de facto economic sovereignty. It is other Eurozone states who have surrendered it for the advantage of being lumped together with some of the largest and most stable economies in the world. Other countries dance to the tune that Germany and France play.

I would rather be partners with Europe than slaves of America.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with keeping strong political links with the USA, imho. That said, I do resent the cultural influence the US has had, and we should strive for greater independence in that area. Obviously political links shoudn't go as far as "brown nosing".

I think in general, we should have strong relationships with both the USA and Europe, but that doesn't mean we have to imitate them in every aspect.

For those of you who seem totally against maintaining a relationship with the US... why? Don't you see we have far more to lose from sabotaging the relationship than we have to win?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacktri)
    our country is being run by cowering idiots
    Oh piss off. I'm sure you'd like to believe everything is simple and that somehow compromise and maintaining good relations with other countries is some sort of surrender to perfidious foreign influences, but it's a load of bull-****. Politics are simply more complicated than you understand.

Germany was the epicentre of the reformation. Only 30% of German Christians are Catholics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Germany was the epicentre of the reformation. Only 30% of German Christians are Catholics.
    Indeed, you are correct, only 30% of Germans are Catholic, however only 29% are Protestant.

ReputationRep:

Germany predominatly Catholic? In Bavaria perhaps but I've always understood it to be Protestant.

In any case over the next few decades we are more likely to see countries in the far east flexing their economic muscles.

ReputationRep:
    the "special relationship" was made up anyway. It's just because Americans speak English.

ReputationRep:

France is not catholic, it's atheist (beheading priests since the 1790's), and officially so since 1905.

And the Fifth Republic is not a republic per se, contrary to popular belief, it has quite a bit of monarchy in it.

Therefore, France is a better partner than the US.

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel particularly humiliated and I'm pretty sure the landmass on which I stand hasn't turned red

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Oh piss off. I'm sure you'd like to believe everything is simple and that somehow compromise and maintaining good relations with other countries is some sort of surrender to perfidious foreign influences, but it's a load of bull-****. Politics are simply more complicated than you understand.

are you a politician? ermm no you aren't so your assumption is no better than mine

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.