Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question for Girls Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Ive been reading the Male Fashion thread recently and whilst its an interesting read and people have a lot to say in it, I think a lot of the advice given is very questionable. So I was wondering what the people who actually matter think - the girls (for most guys anyway)

If you were to imagine what a good looking guy wears what would you say?

I see a lot of guys going on about their Chino's, long wool coats, boat shoes and such other stuff - which I'd always thought was designed for 40 + until recently, and I'm not convinced now!

Maybe girls don't actually give a flying F*** what guys wear, as long as they are clean, nice blokes.

ReputationRep:
    The first thing that comes to mind if I imagined a ''good looking guy'' is something like Seann William Scott in Role Models (if you've seen it) I like my guys semi-scruffy Jeans that fit well, some sort of printed t-shirt showing off nice manly arms, and a bit of designer stubble :coma:

Chinos are a bit iffy, imo. Unless you're ridiciulously hot and you can wear anything, e.g. Jude Law:

Long wool coats on guys always remind me of Mulder from X-Files, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. But boat shoes are just hideous.

ALTHOUGH, in the grand scheme of things, if you had a nice face and personality to match, I'd probably like you anyway

Why on earth should our opinions matter? Wear what you want and what you're comfortable in as long as its not skinny jeans, I really don't give a ****. That's pretty much the extent of my knowledge of fashion.

ReputationRep:
      Aw, what's wrong with skinny jeans? I think Matt Bellamy rocks them like no other. :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
      I dislike men in skinny jeans. But as long as they dress well, clean and crisp, I don't mind.

ReputationRep:
      I don't really care what guys wear, apart from that horrible trend for wearing trousers halfway down the bum.

ReputationRep:
      Chinos are only good for older men. Boat shoes are vile, and I second the hatred of skinny jeans.

I definately do have a preference as to what guys wear, but as long as they're not wearing arrogant-looking clothes they usually look fine.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by openbyhand)
      Maybe girls don't actually give a flying F*** what guys wear, as long as they are clean, nice blokes.
      Well clothes are a really good way of expressing yourself so leave a little room for self expression, but yes generally keep smart, wear clothes that fit your body shape and look clean (no food stains!) and you're doing fine.

Of course then there is going to be a lot of variation amongst us ladies as to what looks good on a man. Some think skinny jeans are cute whilst others (like me) think they are revolting. But why bother with one style if it doesn't feel right to you?

I personally think classy and simple, well tailored clothes are hot (Jude Law's pic above is a good example of this).

ReputationRep:
      I hate guys in the following: Super skinny jeans, cardigans, low V neck t-shirts, rosary pendants, those wooly slouchy hats and "comedy" boxers.

My favourite outfit on a guy would be some nice straight leg jeans, a stripy shirt with a navy/grey/burgundy sweater over the top, nice shoes (even non-scruffy converse), and a wool pea coat.
      My boyfriend wore this outfit today :fan:

ReputationRep:
      I love men in chinos, and boat shoes, and cardigans, and wool coats.

Having said that, my boyfriend has pretty much glued onto his body Star Wars tshirts, jeans, a leather jacket and scruffy trainers, and I don't really mind. In reality I don't think anyone really cares about this stuff.

ReputationRep:
      Why all the hate for skinny jeans? I think they look fine :dontknow:

I generally don't mind what guys wear, basic stuff is fine. I love guys in sweaters though :drool:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
      The first thing that comes to mind if I imagined a ''good looking guy'' is something like Seann William Scott in Role Models (if you've seen it) I like my guys semi-scruffy Jeans that fit well, some sort of printed t-shirt showing off nice manly arms, and a bit of designer stubble :coma:

Chinos are a bit iffy, imo. Unless you're ridiciulously hot and you can wear anything, e.g. Jude Law:

Long wool coats on guys always remind me of Mulder from X-Files, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. But boat shoes are just hideous.

ALTHOUGH, in the grand scheme of things, if you had a nice face and personality to match, I'd probably like you anyway

OP - Disregard. Jude Law is a ******.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ~Amy-Eliza~)
      I hate guys in the following: Super skinny jeans, cardigans, low V neck t-shirts, rosary pendants, those wooly slouchy hats and "comedy" boxers.

My favourite outfit on a guy would be some nice straight leg jeans, a stripy shirt with a navy/grey/burgundy sweater over the top, nice shoes (even non-scruffy converse), and a wool pea coat.
      My boyfriend wore this outfit today :fan:
      What about kurtas? Hate? Love? Or indifferent?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sleekchic)
      Why on earth should our opinions matter? Wear what you want and what you're comfortable in as long as its not skinny jeans, I really don't give a ****. That's pretty much the extent of my knowledge of fashion.
      Why does everyone hate skinny jeans on guys??
      I think it looks :sexface:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
      The first thing that comes to mind if I imagined a ''good looking guy'' is something like Seann William Scott in Role Models (if you've seen it) I like my guys semi-scruffy
      Seconded. I forgot how hot he is! And I don't think his attractiveness is really rooted in his stylish dress sense.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mm_Minty)
      Why does everyone hate skinny jeans on guys??
      I think it looks :sexface:
      For me, skinny jeans make people's legs look impossibly thin. On women its not so bad as we're generally built slender and the shape skinny jeans make is very feminine, but I don't find skinny lanky legs on men attractive.

But if you do go for that thin, struggling artist look, then fair play.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by black_mamba)
      For me, skinny jeans make people's legs look impossibly thin. On women its not so bad as we're generally built slender and the shape skinny jeans make is very feminine, but I don't find skinny lanky legs on men attractive.

But if you do go for that thin, struggling artist look, then fair play.
      That probably has something to do with it :p:

I remember walking behind some guy with really muscly legs a few weeks ago and was just like :lolwut: and doing my best to overtake him so I didn't have to look at them any more :p:

EDIT: LOL for getting negged for not being attracted to muscles. Only on TSR :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by openbyhand)
      Hey

Ive been reading the Male Fashion thread recently and whilst its an interesting read and people have a lot to say in it, I think a lot of the advice given is very questionable. So I was wondering what the people who actually matter think - the girls (for most guys anyway)

If you were to imagine what a good looking guy wears what would you say?

I see a lot of guys going on about their Chino's, long wool coats, boat shoes and such other stuff - which I'd always thought was designed for 40 + until recently, and I'm not convinced now!

It completely depends on the circumstances dude. Sometimes scruffy jeans and a hoody look fine. Sometimes they do not, and you need something slightly smarter. The key ability is to wear something appropriate to the setting.

Saying that, a lot of the "advice" you get on this forum is from 17 year old boys who don't have the first **** ing clue what they're on about.

ReputationRep:
      Thanks for the replies, some interesting stuff. I don't go for really skinny jeans, they feel wrong.

I like the scuffy look though

ReputationRep:
      The scruffy look is definitely a good way to go. Make sure you actually take care of your appearance though. Quite a few celebrities at the moment are attractive, Tinie Tempah, Bruno Mars, Cristiano Ronaldo and Chad Michael Murray. All with their own dress sense but it works. No matter what you choose make sure your hair suits your face as well. Girls fall for a guy with good hair and amazing dress sense .

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.