Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm just curious as to which programming language is most commonly taught in computer science courses (or anything computer related really). I'm applying to Newcastle as my firm (hopefully ) and they teach Java it seems.

What does your university teach?

ReputationRep:
    Most are Java in the first year, but my Uni was C#. Second year was C++.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    C# (absolutely ****, would have much preferred C++), other Microsoft languages (.NET), Java and Assembly. In the coming years probably others such as Python. In the final year you can use whatever language you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackWoot)
    I'm just curious as to which programming language is most commonly taught in computer science courses (or anything computer related really). I'm applying to Newcastle as my firm (hopefully ) and they teach Java it seems.

What does your university teach?
    Edinburgh first year: Java, haskell, SQL, XQuery and all the database crap.

Second year(so far in first semester): More Java, C, MIPS Assembly, Python(NLTK mostly)...and i'm pretty sure there's others i've missed out.

Edinburgh tend to teach you the basics and expect you to do the rest yourself pretty much. First year is learning how to learn a language...hence second year we're covering more with barely any lectures on em. Coursework/labs is spent more on it.

ReputationRep:
    Southampton: Java, C, Scheme/Lisp

ReputationRep:
    In my time as an undergrad - Java for 1st and 2nd year as the primary language, C taught as part of a module on Unix in 2nd year, object-oriented design module in 3rd year used C++, Scheme in another 3rd year course and a couple of brief introductions to others along the way. I also used a lot of Matlab for my final year project.

Course has changed quite a bit since then though, C++ is taught in first year now, with courses in Ruby plus all of the above later on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.