Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggling to see a point and purpose in life Watch

ReputationRep:
    Really whats the whole point of us being here? Life seems like this futile exercise, we all have to die one day anyway. It would have some meaning just a bit maybe if when we were born, we were told, right you have these many years to live and do what you want. Then you could atleast plan your life accordingly.
    Life is **** anyway beyond 20. You have to go to university, get a **** job(very few do what they really want to do) and then have kids, support them and then get miserable and old and die.
    I think everyone should just die and forget this stupid meaningless pursuit called LIFE.

ReputationRep:
    off you trot then, we won't miss you, bye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    off you trot then, we won't miss you, bye
    i'm not saying i want to commit suicide. but I just don't see the point in life tbh..for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Toodles.
    I'll live life whilst I can. I like living. I like trying different things.
    It makes me happy.
    Maybe life may or may not have a purpose. Well ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humbugsftw)
    Toodles.
    I'll live life whilst I can. I like living. I like trying different things.
    It makes me happy.
    Maybe life may or may not have a purpose. Well ****.
    yeah but you're going to die one day. maybe even today. i mean, there's no certainty is there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabebrit)
    yeah but you're going to die one day. maybe even today. i mean, there's no certainty is there?
    You're in a brilliant position.
    One where you don't care. One where you have nothing to lose.

Decide what you want and you can do it!
    I recommend starting your own company just for the lols

ReputationRep:
    I know.
    But even knowing that, I still want to live life. Get out there, have fun, make something of myself doing something I know I will enjoy. I might die today, or tomorrow, or whenever. Death is inevitable. But at least I want to go out knowing I tried to live life and make something of myself. Knowing I was on the path to making myself happy and doing what I wanted to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humbugsftw)
    I know.
    But even knowing that, I still want to live life. Get out there, have fun, make something of myself doing something I know I will enjoy. I might die today, or tomorrow, or whenever. Death is inevitable. But at least I want to go out knowing I tried to live life and make something of myself. Knowing I was on the path to making myself happy and doing what I wanted to do.
    and then once you die what use will all that be? you will cease to exist

ReputationRep:
    Really whats the whole point of us being here? Life seems like this futile exercise, we all have to die one day anyway. It would have some meaning just a bit maybe if when we were born, we were told, right you have these many years to live and do what you want. Then you could atleast plan your life accordingly.
    Life is **** anyway beyond 20. You have to go to university, get a **** job(very few do what they really want to do) and then have kids, support them and then get miserable and old and die.
    I think everyone should just die and forget this stupid meaningless pursuit called LIFE.
    Life is what YOU make it and what YOU want it to be.

You DON'T have to get a sh*t job doing what you don't like. You have the CHOICE to choose a career that you love. You have the CHOICE to start your own business instead of working for someone else. You DON'T have to do something you hate, you can CHOOSE something you love doing and make an income from it.

Life is a menu of choices, and you have to choose which choices apply to you. By 'settling' for a sh*t job, you are letting others tell you have you should live your life, which is stupid.

And you DON'T have to have kids. You can choose not to have them.

Again, we as humans have the free-will to do what he want with our lives. The point of life is to use your own unique gifts and talents to find your own happiness. Provided you don't hurt anyone else, then you can do whatever the hell you want. As long as you die happy, you win the game of life.

So CHOOSE to do the things you love, instead of blaming life for your unhappiness. Make choices that make you happy. End of.

ReputationRep:
    and then once you die what use will all that be? you will cease to exist
    You might cease to exist. But your memories will be around. There will be people who care for you, who love you, and you will have loved them back too. They will be the ones who make life worth living.
    And it would all totally be worth it in the end. I like to think I have lived my life, or at least tried to, before I died.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neil_K)
    Life is what YOU make it and what YOU want it to be.

You DON'T have to get a sh*t job doing what you don't like. You have the CHOICE to choose a career that you love. You have the CHOICE to start your own business instead of working for someone else. You DON'T have to do something you hate, you can CHOOSE something you love doing and make an income from it.

Life is a menu of choices, and you have to choose which choices apply to you. By 'settling' for a sh*t job, you are letting others tell you have you should live your life, which is stupid.

And you DON'T have to have kids. You can choose not to have them.

Again, we as humans have the free-will to do what he want with our lives. The point of life is to use your own unique gifts and talents to find your own happiness. Provided you don't hurt anyone else, then you can do whatever the hell you want. As long as you die happy, you win the game of life.

So CHOOSE to do the things you love, instead of blaming life for your unhappiness. Make choices that make you happy. End of.
    You know in a way..suicide is a way of telling life..**** YOU life..you don't get to decide when I'm going to die. I'm going out on my own terms

ReputationRep:
    There really isn't much of a point or purpose to life, except that you should

http://levistey0.files.wordpress.com...e-currency.jpg

ReputationRep:
    For a start, you don't HAVE to go to university.
    You don't HAVE to get a **** job (people who don't do what they want to do haven't tried hard enough).
    You don't have to have kids, and if you don't have them then you don't have to support anyone.
    You don't have to be miserable.

Don't worry. Be happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    For a start, you don't HAVE to go to university.
    You don't HAVE to get a **** job (people who don't do what they want to do haven't tried hard enough).
    You don't have to have kids, and if you don't have them then you don't have to support anyone.
    You don't have to be miserable.

Don't worry. Be happy.
    no university=no job unless you're gifted, eg. sportsperson, musician or actor

ReputationRep:
    I wondered about exactly this for quite some time. I came to the realisation that humanity is just the same as a plant or a parasite - it isn't purposeful, it does not have direction or intention. It just is because it is.

Does it matter? No. The majority of people find it enjoyable. That's all you need. Life is temporary, and eventually any way you impact the world, no matter how strongly (even Einstein and Martin Luther King), it will eventually come to nothing. It will be as if you never were. Does this matter? No.
    Just live for the enjoyment and try to increase the enjoyment of life for those around you. That's all the 'point and purpose' we need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    I wondered about exactly this for quite some time. I came to the realisation that humanity is just the same as a plant or a parasite - it isn't purposeful, it does not have direction or intention. It just is because it is.

Does it matter? No. The majority of people find it enjoyable. That's all you need. Life is temporary, and eventually any way you impact the world, no matter how strongly (even Einstein and Martin Luther King), it will eventually come to nothing. It will be as if you never were. Does this matter? No.
    Just live for the enjoyment and try to increase the enjoyment of life for those around you. That's all the 'point and purpose' we need.
    thats bull**** isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    That made me feel old....As for me i've my goal in life to become a good doctor so i'll try to score as long as im alive, if im going to die anyway i better do something that proves my existence after im dead.

Besides, when you have kids your way of thinking changes, bcz you'll put your kids before you...and i've never seen parents saying they don't have purpose in life.

ReputationRep:
    no university=no job unless you're gifted, eg. sportsperson, musician or actor
    Sorry, what?

Not all jobs require a degree. Plenty of people work "normal" (not a celebrity or some such person) jobs without having been to university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Sorry, what?

Not all jobs require a degree. Plenty of people work "normal" (not a celebrity or some such person) jobs without having been to university.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0RaTnDyBs4

ReputationRep:
    To OP, there are many ways you will change your life. As already said if you have children you will love them, and may see in them a purpose to live and enjoy the gift kids are. Many people have felt totally empty inside them without knowing what they are doing here eventhough they were "doctors" or what ever.

Plus, why do we have religions! My PERSONAL view is that we are here to make something that will help us on our journey. For example you go to school then college, then Uni and finally to work. And all that to statisfy your self, be happy and grow as a person. In the same way, as many people believe in one of the 5 big worldreligions, you are here to achieve something that will help you in the afterlife.

As mentioned before the second part is my personal view and if you are really keen about and don't want to think about all this afterlife thing.. then just try to live for the moment and know ! Make yourself happy now !

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.