The Student Room Group

We're all going to die one day..so why is suicide wrong?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fuchsie
But why would you turn to suicide if not to escape the 'crippling reality' of life itself?

Simple - to have your vendetta on your destiny for preventing you from making what you want out of yourself, if its plans for you are different from yours.

Suicide is definitely not cowardly - to get rid of the life and embrace the unknown. Lot of people have fear of the unknown. This is a way to get over this fear.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 161
Original post by Sabertooth
You're free to be as mindlessly positivistic as you like, that doesn't change reality. I was just saying, as I already explained, in answer to the statement that things will get better that they may not. Ignoring the fact that things can get worse doesn't eliminate the chance of it happening. To answer your other paragraph about beyond proper functioning - I was talking more about depression where you still have the ability to kill yourself, from there it can most definitely get to the situation you described and would I want to live 50 years like that? hell no. I don't think many people would. You mention medication without addressing the often horrendous side effects and the fact that treatment-resistant mental illness exists so medication may make things worse or may do nothing at all.

Moreover, the "only way" isn't necessarily up, there's always continued decline to even less functioning, there's always no movement either way.

Like I said, you can be as positive as you like, it doesn't change reality, and it doesn't change my very possible answer to that other poster.

Tis not mindless positive thinking when it gives you enough strength to continue for long enough to find a solution :smile:. Otherwise there'd be people killing themselves left right and center.

And by my mindless positive thinking i'll take any situation and make it positive. The good thing about that is some people get down about what i would consider trivial situations. Whereas i don't.

Yes medication can have horrendous side effect, the positive of that? We get to try a different medication and maybe that one will work better. Or lower the dose slightly which could mean one step to getting off of them. Although i refer to the side effects where you're literally in tears 24/7 because of them, jaw grinding or w.e....my mate was having that after 2 years on the depo, and now they're reducing it - and there's talk of her coming off it in another year when previously had been told she'd be on it for the rest of her life...all due to her side effects.

But yeah, apologise, i wasn't referring to your post as a reply to the other person. I understand you were just trying to give another side there - I was just replying to your post as a general thing :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending