Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Arnolds intermediate bodybuilding programme Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I have bought two of arnolds books, the encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding (first edition ,before he was forced to go all politically correct and the 'sports scientists, and lawyers got their teeth into him, his later editions are not as good, this was explained to me by several guys in the gym),and arnold education of the bodybuilder,which is kind of like a part autobiography and workout programme that is the book Iam using.

The beginners workout is a full body workout that you do 3 times a week and which you keep up for six months. This I have done.

Now Iam on to his intermediate workout which is four days where you do certain bodyparts on each day twice a week. On one day which is back arms and shoulder day one of the exercises is pullups. He wants you do to widegrip behind the neck pullups, 50 of them and if you can't do them all in one go ,obviously so you need to keep doing them till you reach a total of 50. Now I find once I hit 30, I have complete muscular failure in that even when taking a 30 second rest,which he recommends between sets, I can't even get one out , at all. Now my question is, should I carry on with my workout and do the exercises and then go back to it later and get the 50 reps , or see that as my pullups done?

I do the former and spent almost 3 hrs in the gym because obviously I had done arms and shoulders since, so it took that amount of time to struggle to get the last 20 out. By the time I was done, my hands could not even grip my car door handle properly and my shoulders were wrenched out. Now it might get easier,but I just wondered, what other people think.

ReputationRep:
    Man ur cns will be custard in no time!!!!! as a beginner you should be doing a power based routine, that book is for the genetic freaks of bodybuilding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yorkbell)
    Man ur cns will be custard in no time!!!!! as a beginner you should be doing a power based routine, that book is for the genetic freaks of bodybuilding
    Well I have done his, beginner programme for six months which was a two hour workout 3 times a week, and was 9 exercises, which included 30 pullups, but it's the jump up to 50 pullups twice a week Iam having difficulty with. Nothing else to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    50?!! and you can do 30?!?!? Holy ****ing **** man. And as the guy above said, unless you want to be a professional body builder... you really don't have to follow his rigorous programme. He is definitely a G though.

ReputationRep:
    So what have your gains been on te beginner phase?? Both strength and size.

ReputationRep:
    No need to do 50 pullups, like people have said, Arnold was a freak..

However if you can do 30, just increase it slowly each week? E.g. 30 week 1, 33 week 2, 36 week 3.. etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    Basically, I have bought two of arnolds books, the encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding (first edition ,before he was forced to go all politically correct and the 'sports scientists, and lawyers got their teeth into him, his later editions are not as good, this was explained to me by several guys in the gym),and arnold education of the bodybuilder,which is kind of like a part autobiography and workout programme that is the book Iam using.

The beginners workout is a full body workout that you do 3 times a week and which you keep up for six months. This I have done.

Now Iam on to his intermediate workout which is four days where you do certain bodyparts on each day twice a week. On one day which is back arms and shoulder day one of the exercises is pullups. He wants you do to widegrip behind the neck pullups, 50 of them and if you can't do them all in one go ,obviously so you need to keep doing them till you reach a total of 50. Now I find once I hit 30, I have complete muscular failure in that even when taking a 30 second rest,which he recommends between sets, I can't even get one out , at all. Now my question is, should I carry on with my workout and do the exercises and then go back to it later and get the 50 reps , or see that as my pullups done?

I do the former and spent almost 3 hrs in the gym because obviously I had done arms and shoulders since, so it took that amount of time to struggle to get the last 20 out. By the time I was done, my hands could not even grip my car door handle properly and my shoulders were wrenched out. Now it might get easier,but I just wondered, what other people think.

There are certain ways in which you can approach this:

1) Try to beat the range of reps you got in your previous workout, so each workout you are aiming for, if last workout you managed 35, next workout aim for 36 and that way you can work your way up

2) Rest for longer periods, sometimes you have to tweak the program to work for you and knowing where and when to do so is a skill, no workout is set out in stone, there is always room for tweaks, if you find that resting for longer period helps than tweak it to 60-120 seconds, take it from there.

3) Change the exercise to something else or get rid of it in total for a little while.

If you see that you are achieving your aims and goals whatever they are then stick with the program despite what others say and regardless of people calling him a freak he was a 'Legend', if any of you guys could get his physique or anywhere near it I'd take my hat off to you, like they say talk is cheap.

Good luck :yy:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.