Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Christmas Shopping watch

• View Poll Results: Christmas Shopping: High Street or Online?
    High Street - Actually going into the shop
    38.71%
    Online - Buying gifts from the internet
    61.29%

ReputationRep:
    Feeling the festivities amongst the awful weather?
    I'm sure you can't miss it!

I've been strolling through the High Street, Shopping Centres
    and noticed the obvious surge in Christmas shopping as December 25th draws closer.

I then wondered, as a Student
    Do you even do Christmas shopping?
    If so, High Street or Online?

Would be great to hear your responses.

And if you could leave your full name and University so I could quote you for an article I'm writing. Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nedu)

and noticed the obvious surge in Christmas shopping as December 25th draws closer.

And if you could leave your full name and University so I could quote you for an article I'm writing. Thanks a lot.
    You should have an option for people who do both. I do shopping online and on the high street, it just depends what I am buying.
    x

ReputationRep:
    I do it all online.
    Don't have time to go into town

ReputationRep:
    I do it all online because I only have bad memories of going into town at Christmas, mostly dominated by the hell that was working at Debenhams over the 2008 Christmas period. Never again. I've already done all my Christmas shopping this year in an hour or so online rather than several repeat trips into town.

ReputationRep:
    Some online, most in the shops. Yesterday I went to Camden market and bought some gifts there, then to Oxford Street - I didn't realise it would be so busy! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I'll make my own out of toilet rolls and glitter.

ReputationRep:
    I'm giving the gift of cold hard cash this year.

I always liked getting cash as opposed to presents when I was a kid. At least that way you can buy what you actually want in the January sales rather than pretend to like what someone has bought you.

ReputationRep:
    I've bought most of my shopping online this year- just because there's no need to go into town when you can get whatever you need on the internet.
    I've bought my cards and a couple of bits and pieces as I saw them on the highstreet, but I prefer to get it online, and it's usually a bit cheaper, too.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to do them online but found it hard this year. I got a few online so far. I have most of mine to do yet and I'd get them online if I thought they'd be delivered on time. I tried to buy stuff online and get them delivered to Ireland so I wouldn't have to carry them home but Amazon said a few items would arrive after the 25th Dec... this was the end of November!?

ReputationRep:
    i do both. my sisters is made up of many little presents which iv been buying for a few months now and its pretty much all come off amazon as it was very cheap on there. for everyone else i just went to the shops as there are a couple of people (like mum, dad and step-mum) where i cant sit down and think "this is what they will want" it was a case of having a wander round and see what i find for them. but i finally finished mine last wednesday and its all wrapped up and around my tree, ready for going home at christmas :-D
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I've bought some online, but my stupid postman has a habit of leaving parcels outside in the rain/snow so I won't buy anything that could get spoilt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nedu)

I tend to do my shopping online (AMAZON!! ) because its a lot cheaper (usually by at least £10) The only time I buy things in store is if they're out of stock online or its a food/drink item

ReputationRep:
    Mostly on-line. The only time I go-to town is if I need it quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree, I do both, not either one.

I am doing shopping this year, but only for a couple of close friends and family. I went for one day the other day to get all the in store stuff and wrapping materials (made a list beforehand to avoid multiple trips). I will get some online stuff next week when my bursary comes in. Also gonna get some cards next week.

I tend to get specific things which people ask for online (like books dvds etc) and edibles/trinkets/toiletries in the shops.

EDIT: My name and uni are on my profile.

ReputationRep:
    Do both. I do high street throughout the year!

But as Christmas gets nearer I tend to order dvds/blu rays from Amazon.

I order from Christmas catelogues too.

But mostly high street. I hate shopping in December though, nobody has any manners, shoving and pushing, no pleases, thank you's or excuse me's. Gets me so wound up! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I've bought some online, but my stupid postman has a habit of leaving parcels outside in the rain/snow so I won't buy anything that could get spoilt.
    Really? My postman just sticks a note through the door so I can reschedule a delivery for a day of my choice. How strange!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    Really? My postman just sticks a note through the door so I can reschedule a delivery for a day of my choice. How strange!
    Well, my postman doesn't. I would much prefer it if he left a card! Once he left a vinyl record out in the rain and when I arrived home hours later it was spoilt. I understand that he can't be expected to know what's inside, but as it was in a cardboard mailer is not unreasonable to assume that he would realise cardboard isn't completely waterproof.

The last parcel he left outside was last Saturday when there was snow everywhere.

Online - saves my shoulders getting bruised and toes trodden on . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Well, my postman doesn't. I would much prefer it if he left a card! Once he left a vinyl record out in the rain and when I arrived home hours later it was spoilt. I understand that he can't be expected to know what's inside, but as it was in a cardboard mailer is not unreasonable to assume that he would realise cardboard isn't completely waterproof.

The last parcel he left outside was last Saturday when there was snow everywhere.
    Can you not complain? Surely they aren't allowed to just leave your mail outside your door

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your response....
    Bumping it up to try and get some more feedback
    Then will message you for names, Uni and Uni course a little later
    Thanks alot.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.