Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This comes after a pretty disappointing practical in my Chemistry ISA; we were basically doing titrations and I did everything right except something was wrong with my indicator.

I just hate the pressure of it all and somehow I always feel lost in a practical situation. Can anyone empathise?

ReputationRep:
    I can empathise-I'm terrible at the practicals!
    I don't know how to help you I'm afraid, as I simply hate them, but if its any reassurance I got an A in biology after getting a C in the practicals, and a B in chemistry after getting a D in the practicals. So just work hard on the theory stuff and you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    i thought i was the only one although sometimes it does get fun, but not very often

I'm horrible at practicals, I copied a friend of mine in the chemistry cw practical (exam conditions), I didn't even read the booklet for instructions!

But I'm beginning to get the hang of it, it's just taking me a bit more time

ReputationRep:
    I agree for the most part. Physics ISA of droping water droplets from diffrent heights makes me want to claw out my own eyeballs.

But the chemistry ISAs makes sense dont they?

Either way; tests all the way. Pacticals can go suck a lemon.

ReputationRep:
    I hate them too. They're so stressful. The ones that have instructions stressing the importance of working quickly or the experiment will fail are the worst. I always work too slowly.

Or I get the faulty microscope. Grrr.

ReputationRep:
    I hate practicals cause I have no one to work with ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    I agree for the most part. Physics ISA of droping water droplets from diffrent heights makes me want to claw out my own eyeballs.

But the chemistry ISAs makes sense dont they?

Either way; tests all the way. Pacticals can go suck a lemon.
    Opposite

I always thought Chemistry was more difficult but maybe that's because I don't exactly enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    Arghh, speaking of this I've got one tomorrow which I'm definitely going to fail! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind them too much. I only hated them in Year 11, where all experiments were done in pairs. I much prefer it now, where you get to work alone.
    It makes me laugh, too. I always thought they'd have to be done in exam conditions, but I don't think I've ever done an assessed practical - at GCSE or A-Level - which has been done in silence. Much prefer it that way, I feel more under pressure if it's totally silent.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry practicals are great fun! Much better than annotating some centuries old poem or watching a mass bounce up and down on a spring

ReputationRep:
    I only liked practicals because it meant I didn't have to do any written work.

ReputationRep:
    Practicals are fun until you have to do the proper, assessed one. Then they suck

ReputationRep:
    I sympathise with you, school science practicals aren't much fun, but it does get better, I was useless at practical work at college, and I ended up with a 1st in the practical units at Uni, and now do it all for a living.

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely hate practicals; especially the chemistry and physics ones. Biology ones are decent because we look at cells etc...we never got a chance to dissect things such as rats or frogs, and it may upset the veggies in our class anyway. Though we DID explore fish heads...it wasnt THAT bad!

I am NOT looking forward to the triple science ISA My class is already an exam season behind :'(

ReputationRep:
    I share your hatred. In one of my physics practicals I was the only one working by myself, it was some elaborate thing with a ruler, a weight and a spring, I was setting it up and hung some weights off the edge of a ruler, I thought it would weigh the ruler down but no, the ruler flies upwards (I was holding it so it was horizontal), I fell over and the weights flew out the window, needless to say I failed.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the big deal at all? If you think about the variables and typical questions that are likely to come up you will do fine. And with ISA's there are two so if you mess up there is still another chance. And with OCR, there are 3 tasks and 3 attempts at each task, so this is even better.

From my experience in AQA physics ISAs, you are always told the topic. On Thursday I'm doing one on Simple Harmonic Motion. I know this topic could either include a mass spring system or a simple pendulum. If it is a mass spring system, then the independent variable will be either the spring constant or the mass. Again simple pendulum is only affected by length. So straight away I'm thinking about ways I can affect the spring constant, maybe but them in series or parallel, use springs of different natural length. Obviously there isn't going to be anything too hard about changing mass or length of spring. I'm also thinking about accuracy if I measure over a longer period of time then it will lower % error. Precision is likely to be 1mm since this is the spacing on our meter rulers at school. Reliability will be whether I can repeat the results on a different day. The will be marks for doing a graph and labelling axes correct with units etc. The actual written part afterwards, can be quite hard. Especially if you're being pushed for time. My advice for this one, is to expect a similar experiment to the one you carried out, but either with different variable or using different setup. Also with AQA you can guarantee there will be a quite asking about how you could improve the experiment.

I'm on OCR for chemistry. But again, you generally have a pretty good idea about what the experiment is on. The title was making a copper solution and carrying out tests and looking for observations. So for this kind of task, I'm just going to get my textbooks, revision guides. Open index and find all the pages about copper especially reactions. Write them all out, with full equations, half equations, state symbols because often precipitates are formed. Then I look back at my sheets from class and see if I carried out any of these reactions. I check that the observations are correct etc. In my opinion qualitative are always over looked since everyone thinks they're easy because you're just writing down observations but the mark scheme is very picky. You can't put solution is clear, it has to be colourless. And its usually best to stick with one colour and not put say two incase one of those colours isn't on mark scheme. Also avoid using colours of elements, like if it goes copper colour, you're meant so say brown. And if it says silver say grey etc. It implies that you think copper or silver is formed. Also when I do these test tube reactions I take my time because often a second colour changes might occur after a minute- you don't want to miss that out. With OCR they give you three lines for an observation but don't feel you have to fill them. If its a 1 mark question, they're only looking for one change which won't need 3 lines, and if you blag and say something that isn't correct it omits your correct answer!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dededex)
    This comes after a pretty disappointing practical in my Chemistry ISA; we were basically doing titrations and I did everything right except something was wrong with my indicator.

I just hate the pressure of it all and somehow I always feel lost in a practical situation. Can anyone empathise?
    I know exactly how you feel, I hate them so much, everything seems to go disastrously wrong for you, while your friend is literally tearing it apart , I got a D in my physics practical and amazingly i got an A overall for AS level. Your just going to have get used to it. However, I'm in A2 now, I feel that as I read the instructions more carefully, they are easier to follow.

ReputationRep:
    Your teachers should be prepping you thoroughly for ISAs, plus picking the ones that give you the best chance at getting good marks. Remember there aren't really an marks for the results, just for writing up what happened.

Rating experiments by your ISAs is a bit unfair..... Even the best ones aren't as fun as some of the other practicals you do.....

OCR Chemistry B assessed practicals are pretty easy..... over 85% of last year's AS group got an A.....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.