Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who will the fees affect? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I thought that the cap of £9000 was coming into place in 2012. But then I just looked on a BBC article and it said 2013. Which year is it meant to be coming in?

ReputationRep:
    It will affect all students who will start their courses from 2011/12 onwards, i.e. all the people who apply next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chembob)
    It will affect all students who will start their courses from 2011/12 onwards, i.e. all the people who apply next year.
    Greeat. Thanks for telling me anyway haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chembob)
    You mean, applicants for academic year 2012/13? 2011/12 is the coming academic year.

ReputationRep:
    If you're in Year 12 now, prepare to pay £££ basically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lareneg)
    You mean, applicants for academic year 2012/13? 2011/12 is the coming academic year.
    Urm, yeah. My mistake.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if you are in Year 13 right now you are fine, but year 12 I am so sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPMS)
    Yes, if you are in Year 13 right now you are fine, but year 12 I am so sorry.
    Yeah I'm in year 12. Haha just my luck!

ReputationRep:
    So if you're already at uni when the changes come in, will you be affected?

I dont think so

ReputationRep:
      This is the lib dems we are talking about.

I reckon they will bring in something to charge current university students more as well.

They are nothing but liars.

Remember a few years back when Clegg was banging on about scrapping fee's altogether.

Damn I'd love to punch him.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RosieRayner)
      I thought that the cap of £9000 was coming into place in 2012. But then I just looked on a BBC article and it said 2013. Which year is it meant to be coming in?
      It will affect all students who will start their courses from 2011/12 onwards, i.e. all the people who apply next year. It will affect every student, students who are poorer will recieve grants.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by My Life)
      It will affect all students who will start their courses from 2011/12 onwards, i.e. all the people who apply next year. It will affect every student, students who are poorer will recieve grants.
      No it won't.

It comes into force in 2012.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11483638

When will the proposals take effect?

Ministers intend to bring in the new system in time for it to take effect from September 2012. Students applying in 2011 who defer entry to 2012 will have to pay the increased fees, and there are concerns that there will be a rush for places in 2011 before the new regime kicks in. But students who have begun their courses before 2012 will not be affected in their later years of study.

A vote is needed in both houses of parliament for fees to be raised, and is expected to take place before Christmas.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jb9191)
      No it won't.

It comes into force in 2012.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11483638

When will the proposals take effect?

Ministers intend to bring in the new system in time for it to take effect from September 2012. Students applying in 2011 who defer entry to 2012 will have to pay the increased fees, and there are concerns that there will be a rush for places in 2011 before the new regime kicks in. But students who have begun their courses before 2012 will not be affected in their later years of study.

A vote is needed in both houses of parliament for fees to be raised, and is expected to take place before Christmas.

Oh sorry.
      My bad.

ReputationRep:
      Stupid question, but does anyone know if it affects postgrad fees too?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by My Life)
      Oh sorry.
      My bad.
      No need to apologize as I know there is a lot of misinformation flying round due to the governments inability to actually come straight to the point about the whole thing.

I just don't want students on here being misinformed and not going in 2011 because they think they will have higher fee's.

Basically, if you can go in 2011 then go otherwise a year later you'll be paying possibly double for the same education and qualification. Also, don''t defer entry as those that do will still pay increased fee's.

2011 entry is definitely the option you should take if you can.

ReputationRep:
      No need to apologize as I know there is a lot of misinformation flying round due to the governments inability to actually come straight to the point about the whole thing.

I just don't want students on here being misinformed and not going in 2011 because they think they will have higher fee's.

Basically, if you can go in 2011 then go otherwise a year later you'll be paying possibly double for the same education and qualification. Also, don''t defer entry as those that do will still pay increased fee's.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Teao the Cat)
      Stupid question, but does anyone know if it affects postgrad fees too?
      Nothing has been announced as yet.

I bet this is another major thing they are trying to hide and slyly vote through.

As a Welsh student I feel gutted for the English. Its a disgrace what their government is doing to them. I would definitely riot.

ReputationRep:

What about the fact that under the government plans you will actually be paying much less as a graduate (and at a much higher starting salary of £21,000 rather than £15,000 under the current system) and the obviously these are LOANS which you don't have to pay up front and which will be cancelled after 30 years. People seem happy to ignore the details published by several independent groups which show that graduate repayments for the poorest 30% will actually fall.

ReputationRep:
      Technically, it hasn't been voted on yet, so it still may not happen at all.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.