Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been trawling these forums trying to find some advice – and admittedly have probably missed something glaringly obvious that will render this a pointless question –*but I can't find anything that works.

My hair is thick, waist-length, quite silky, and naturally straight. I love curls and loose waves, but it just will not hold them at all and it's really frustrating.

I've tried various sizes of tongs, curling with straighteners, velcro rollers (slept in), scrunching with a diffuser, and every combination of all sorts of products: mousse, hairspray, salt spray, etc., but it still won't hold longer than about half an hour!

I was considering getting a loose perm but I've been told by countless hairdressers that it will ruin my hair, so I'm really at a loss as to what I can do to give my hair curls that last at least a day. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Don't get a perm!
    http://www.babyliss.co.uk/stylers_2285u.html
    get this! my hair is the same and never curls - except with this!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4SMfGtbh3A <-- a review thing (when i curl my hair with this i normal do bigger curls by using more hair)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe2xsrk0Zuw This is how my hair turns out like

Try GHD's and watch this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w74e5aXrFs4

EDIT: this is also a really good product and smells soooo good http://www.lookfantastic.com/hair/ti...url-spray.html

Try amazon, i think its a bit cheaper than that site.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I could suggest is getting a hair cut. It's probably just because your waist length hair will be too heavy for the curls and pull them straight out.

Have you tried curling thin strands?

ReputationRep:
    Long thick hair is too dense to curl. It's too heavy. You could try having it thinned out a bit, layered or getting it cut. A perm would work, but its very permanent and damages your hair. Heat-based appliances won't work at all (unless you pile on the hairspray). You could try putting in a few lines of strategically placed hair extensions, fake hair curls easily and doesnt matter if it gets damage. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    My hair won't curl and I've just had to face up to the reality that I cannot have curled hair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harleygrant)
    I've been trawling these forums trying to find some advice – and admittedly have probably missed something glaringly obvious that will render this a pointless question –*but I can't find anything that works.

My hair is thick, waist-length, quite silky, and naturally straight. I love curls and loose waves, but it just will not hold them at all and it's really frustrating.

I've tried various sizes of tongs, curling with straighteners, velcro rollers (slept in), scrunching with a diffuser, and every combination of all sorts of products: mousse, hairspray, salt spray, etc., but it still won't hold longer than about half an hour!

I was considering getting a loose perm but I've been told by countless hairdressers that it will ruin my hair, so I'm really at a loss as to what I can do to give my hair curls that last at least a day. Any advice?

Your hair will not curl for several reasons, 1) the weight is too much and its dragging the curl out 2) it's thick so again the weight is dragging the curl out and 3) your hair is silky which means you have a tightly closed cuticle. In order for a hair to curl well it helps if the cuticle is slightly raised. Sea salt spray will usually help here but obviously you've tried that.

The reason lots of hairdressers have warned you against a perm is because they are terrified of doing them, literally terrified. To each other they will admit their fear through lack of practice but to a client they simply advice against them saying "It will ruin your hair" so as not to be asked to conduct them. Hairdressers today do not do enough perms to feel confident. In your case a perm is what you need. If the hair is permed it will change its structure and you will stand a much better chance of getting the curl you want.

However, you cannot have a semi or soft perm - these will not work in your hair for the reasons I outlined. I would suggest you get a traditional spiral perm with an alkaline lotion using red and blue rods to creat the curl. You will probably only be able to get this done at a Level 3 hairdressing college, but if you did have such a perm your hair will form a firm curl. You can then curl the hair over the top of the perm and it will hold the style between washes.

Another approach you could try is traditional rag setting with traditional setting lotion (you find this next to the home perms in Boots or Superdrugs) its typically blue in colour. Wash your hair with a clarifiying shampoo and then comb out sections around 2 inches wide and 1 inch thick. Coat in setting lotion and comb the section. Get a load of J clothes. Take 1 j cloth and roll it into a tube, then wrap your section of hair around it to form a tube. Then tie the j cloth at both ends in a knot. Go around your whole head and do this - make sure you really 'pull' the hair as you wind, as tention will form a better curl on the rag. Once you have wound the whole head you need to leave the hair for several hours to dry 100%. You get best results if you sleep on the rags (if you can stand to do it).

This method of curling tends to give the best results on stubborn hair types. However, as I said - if you have a firm perm foundation in the hair you can apply any curl method and it will take effectively as the internal bonds have been broken and will do as they are told.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles0ox)
    Don't get a perm!
    http://www.babyliss.co.uk/stylers_2285u.html
    get this! my hair is the same and never curls - except with this!

Totally agree with this! I used to get so annoyed if I curled my hair with straightener or whatever, then it would go after about 10minutes, but these are so so good.

Also try having your hair shorter/thinned a bit, will curl a lot better

ReputationRep:
    Everyone always wants the opposite - I have naturally curly thick hair and i'd love for it to stay straight, it just bounces back into soft rings after about an hour

ReputationRep:
    Hii....By using hair extensions we can look stylish..but its also a risky..Sometimes it may damage to your hair also..

ReputationRep:
    Try not putting too much hair in the curler and see what happens.
    Sometimes, when you put a lot of hair in the curler it won't do it.
    If not, maybe try what other people have said here.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.