Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok I don't even know where to start because I'm so stumped however here's a try despite my disbelief..

In a nutshell, my inbox/outbox has completely gone from my bb curve - disappeared off the face of my phone and I don't even know how or why.

Last night, the battery was low and I usually charge my phone before it completely dies however I was mid-sleep when the low battery notification came up so I couldn't be bothered and just left it. This morning, I charge my phone and switch it on - I can see that I have two new unread messages because of the notification that comes up.

My home screen has a shortcut to the inbox/outbox (my settings are so that they end up in one folder - don't know if that's just standard blackberry default setting but that's how mine is but the shortcut is just not there anymore). If I go to the massive menu, it's still not there. So basically, I have no inbox :eek: I just can't access my messages and I can't even begin to fathom how the hell this happened

What's more worrying is I have no idea how to sort it out (like how do I even magic back an inbox?) and my phone isn't even insured (FML). Please tell me there's a quick fix to this.. despite all the issues that blackberry's seem to have, I have always loved the messaging facilities so this is just a slap in the face. Please help.

ReputationRep:
    Don't panic :P it sounds like just a software issue so if the worst came to the worst, you can just re-install the software. Icons on the homescreen can be "hidden", which is what it sounds like might have happened to your messages box. Press the BB button (left of the trackpad) to bring up the big list of applications. Press this BB button again to show the menu and click on 'Show All'. Have a scroll through everything and see if your missing icon is there. If it is then hover over it, press the BB button and untick 'Hide'. You can then press 'Show All' again to hide all the previously-hidden stuff again.

Sorry if that was a bit confusing - let me know how you get on and if that doesn't work I'll explain about reloading the software.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemonadeX)
    Don't panic :P it sounds like just a software issue so if the worst came to the worst, you can just re-install the software. Icons on the homescreen can be "hidden", which is what it sounds like might have happened to your messages box. Press the BB button (left of the trackpad) to bring up the big list of applications. Press this BB button again to show the menu and click on 'Show All'. Have a scroll through everything and see if your missing icon is there. If it is then hover over it, press the BB button and untick 'Hide'. You can then press 'Show All' again to hide all the previously-hidden stuff again.

Sorry if that was a bit confusing - let me know how you get on and if that doesn't work I'll explain about reloading the software.
    Once I get to the big menu (with all the applications and shizz) if I press the BB button, the only options I get are, 'Move', 'Move to Folder', 'Hide', 'Add Folder', 'Switch application'. I suppose, would 'Add Folder' work? Because I think I could just add the inbox back (ORRRR I might be horribly wrong :|)

Oh and reloading software - does that mean I lose all my previous messages and etc? (that would be very sad and painful :|).

ps: Thanks for replying - I don't know how many mini heart attacks I've suffered since the morning :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Preeka)
    Once I get to the big menu (with all the applications and shizz) if I press the BB button, the only options I get are, 'Move', 'Move to Folder', 'Hide', 'Add Folder', 'Switch application'. I suppose, would 'Add Folder' work? Because I think I could just add the inbox back (ORRRR I might be horribly wrong :|)

Oh and reloading software - does that mean I lose all my previous messages and etc? (that would be very sad and painful :|).

ps: Thanks for replying - I don't know how many mini heart attacks I've suffered since the morning :\
    Hmmm...'Show All' will only be there if icons are actually hidden. Try going into various folders and pressing the BB button in case the Messages icon has ended up in there - Possibly the Applications folder.

And if you had to reload the software, then you can do a backup first which would save all messages, contacts etc but it sounds like a pretty trivial issue so that shouldn't be needed!

Let me know how it goes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemonadeX)
    Hmmm...'Show All' will only be there if icons are actually hidden. Try going into various folders and pressing the BB button in case the Messages icon has ended up in there - Possibly the Applications folder.

And if you had to reload the software, then you can do a backup first which would save all messages, contacts etc but it sounds like a pretty trivial issue so that shouldn't be needed!

Let me know how it goes
    It gets worse ...

now, my whole keypad has become non-responsive. Like no key command registers. Although this has happened before and 2 hours later it fixed itself and it was like nothing had even happened. So maybe it'll be the same this time? Do you know of this problem at all? BB's just have too many issues

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Preeka)
    It gets worse ...

now, my whole keypad has become non-responsive. Like no key command registers. Although this has happened before and 2 hours later it fixed itself and it was like nothing had even happened. So maybe it'll be the same this time? Do you know of this problem at all? BB's just have too many issues
    They really aren't that bad, you're just not having much luck :P

Try pulling the battery out, which will do a hard reset. Sounds like the software might need updating though - there's likely to be a newer and more stable version to load on.

Firstly, download and install the Desktop Software: http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

Then go to the Backup section and take a full backup of your BB (plug it in via the USB cable). Should save it to your desktop as a whatever.ipd file.

Then go here: http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/devices/

I haven't done it, but I think you can update directly through that website, so see how you get on. If it all goes wrong, you can restore the backup you made through the Desktop Software.

ReputationRep:
    Take the battery out and leave it like that overnight. Usually fixes that way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.