Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know what to do with my life. :(. Anyone feel the same? Watch

ReputationRep:
    hiya,

I have had a bit of a turbulent past. Bullied at school, been in and out of uni, depressed, and now that i've finally finished university with a degree I don't want to get a job in, I have no idea what I want to do with my life

I got 4A's at A level, 2:1 in geophysics degree after dropping out of a maths, then a engineering, then a astrophysics and geophysics degree. I love maths, biology, history, science, nature, reading, helping people, outdoor pursuits, meeting new people, watching news and documentaries and british comedy.

I have just got back from 5 months traveling and I felt so refreshed, but now i'm back at home with my parents, I feel helpless and lost again. I want to work, but I have no idea what I want to work as so i'm applying for random jobs that I am not happy with but the dilema is that the job market is crap so i can't be fussy but at the same time, I have absolutely no ****ing idea where my life is going:mad:

If anyone is going through something similar please share so i know i'm not alone, and if you have any non abusive comments or advice to help, they would be much appreciated too

ReputationRep:
    firstly smile you have achieved a lot. rather than those changes being bad it shows that you are a curios person.

secondly travel, work in various jobs and network with people, that should soon spark an interest in something.

work in a museum i have simmillar academic credentials to yours, along with the same interests and i loved working in national museum liverpool as a volunteer, speaking to the public, schools and young people about artifacts and culture.

peace out

ps go out explore

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy life. To the FULL.

ReputationRep:
    You need to stop thinking like, that after you have a job thats it.

you say you love meeting new people and helping people have you considered volunteering? Your initial reaction might be blah waste of time, but it could really get you back that refreshed and fulfilled feeling

just a thought

It's your parents. If you can't reconcile yourself with them, drop them like a hot coal.

I had the same problem. I was so lonely when I lived with my family. I always thought the world was a scary place because of their slovenly behaviour. I moved out, I deleted them from my contacts, and it's just a big weight off my shoulders.

I'm less lonely living on my own. I really hope I've upset them.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like im in the same situation, only thing is your three years ahead of me. Ive nearly finished my two years at college, predicted top grades and im questioning where am i going to be at the end of education.

I suggest you had a good think about what you want from a job try and find work experience that offers it to you.

Just be open to anything and see where it takes you

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I always feel like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Liam-)
    You need to stop thinking like, that after you have a job thats it.

you say you love meeting new people and helping people have you considered volunteering? Your initial reaction might be blah waste of time, but it could really get you back that refreshed and fulfilled feeling

just a thought
    I want to volunteer in a homeless shelter but on looking at their requirements: "bubbly, sociable person". I don't fit that. I'm very introverted but caring at the same time. Also I'm a vegetarian so am kinda paranoid of having to cook meat and serve meat if i work in a homeless place, but i'd really love to work there. And it's deffo not a waste of time but i have problems with it (vege thing and nausea). I have a problem with everything

ReputationRep:
    This will sound like an unusual way to improve your outlook, but I suggest making YouTube videos. While I wasn't as downbeat as your post suggests, I didn't have a good feeling about my future, then I watched this video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDvqM...eature=related

Should you decide to make videos, this will be a great source of inspiration. I'm very glad I chose to make videos, it gave me the confidence that is needed in my day to day life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    hiya,

I have had a bit of a turbulent past. Bullied at school, been in and out of uni, depressed, and now that i've finally finished university with a degree I don't want to get a job in, I have no idea what I want to do with my life

I got 4A's at A level, 2:1 in geophysics degree after dropping out of a maths, then a engineering, then a astrophysics and geophysics degree. I love maths, biology, history, science, nature, reading, helping people, outdoor pursuits, meeting new people, watching news and documentaries and british comedy.

I have just got back from 5 months traveling and I felt so refreshed, but now i'm back at home with my parents, I feel helpless and lost again. I want to work, but I have no idea what I want to work as so i'm applying for random jobs that I am not happy with but the dilema is that the job market is crap so i can't be fussy but at the same time, I have absolutely no ****ing idea where my life is going:mad:

If anyone is going through something similar please share so i know i'm not alone, and if you have any non abusive comments or advice to help, they would be much appreciated too

How old are you just out of interest? You sound very intelligent to get that degree. Maybe you could look at teaching or something like that as you enjoy rhose subjects. Or perhaps research in physics or something? Try and pursue something you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newts2k)
    How old are you just out of interest? You sound very intelligent to get that degree. Maybe you could look at teaching or something like that as you enjoy rhose subjects. Or perhaps research in physics or something? Try and pursue something you enjoy.
    i'm 24, there's no way i could do research. Not a huge fan of the egotistical nature of university staff....they're so full of themselves!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.