Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you knew you might have inherited the gene, would you get tested?
    If so, why? Do you think it would have a negative effect on your life knowing you were going to suffer from such a terrible disease? Are the advantages of preparing worth the emotional stress?
    If not, why? Wouldn't you want to know, to prepare? How would you deal with not knowing?

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. I couldn't live my life not knowing whether I was going to show symptoms.

I've heard a genetic councillor anecdote in which a man was utterly convinced he was going to get the disease all his life, then in his thirties got tested and found out he hadn't inherited the gene. He'd lived his life expecting the worst, living for the worst outcome only to find out it'd all been unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Absolutely. I couldn't live my life not knowing whether I was going to show symptoms.

I've heard a genetic councillor anecdote in which a man was utterly convinced he was going to get the disease all his life, then in his thirties got tested and found out he hadn't inherited the gene. He'd lived his life expecting the worst, living for the worst outcome only to find out it'd all been unnecessary.
    That must have been awful for him :/ I can't make my mind up on whether I would - I'd hate to live with what seems like a death sentence round my neck for life, like he did, if the test came back positive.

ReputationRep:
    Oh - another question I wanted to ask - If you had Huntington's and conceived a child, would you abort the baby if you knew it had Huntington's? Should people with Huntington's have children?

ReputationRep:
    I think I would be tested if I wanted to have children and would probably opt for some sort of pre implantation testing and ivf if I tested positive for huntingtons and still wanted children as there is a 50/50 chance of passing it on to a child.

(Original post by Boobies.)
    Oh - another question I wanted to ask - If you had Huntington's and conceived a child, would you abort the baby if you knew it had Huntington's? Should people with Huntington's have children?
    Prenatal testing for huntingtons is not generally allowed as it is an adult onset disease.

However if the huntingtons gene is inherited from the father, the symptoms of huntingtons in child are generally much worse than the fathers symptoms, ie earlier age of onset, sometimes even in childhood, so thats another thing to consider.

ReputationRep:
    I was seeing a girl last year who's father died of Huntingtons. She did what I would do, and did not take the test. It can change nothing, regardless live to the fullest. To her credit she told me the second time we were together and I dealt with it immediately in my head as we shall see what happens in the future but if we are together we deal together. The reason we are now friends was to do with me not wanting more than friendship, and now she tried to put my love life right .

On a similar note I have seen someone on off for about two years that will go blind before she is 30. She is aware and matter of fact is seeing all of life before it becomes black. To her credit she finds it amusing that guys are all over her because she is attractive but she does not care less about aesthetics anymore.

Hun, is there a reason you asked? I'll be online later.......

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 5, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.