Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Warming up before weights? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, i'm a complete n00b to doing weights and after asking this at the gym today i got 3 different answers...

First person said to do 5 minutes of light cardio on the crosstrainer first then go into your normal weights workout.

Second person said start light and work up as a way of warming up. Eg start at 5*20 then 5*25 then 3*5*30 instead of straight into 30...

Third person said they never warm up and just go straight into their weights...

TSR, help please...

I reckon the second guy i right but i dunno...

I don't bother going on the treadmill / bike, I just start with very light weights until im loose / fully warmed up

ReputationRep:
      Same as commandant and the 2nd person you spoke too.

If, for example, a work set was 100kg 3x5, i'll warm up doing 60 x 5, 80 x 5, maybe 90 x 2-3. Then go into it.

ReputationRep:
      I always do some cardio for about 5 to 10 minutes before weights. Usually running or rowing.

Then I do pressups and excercises using my own body weight to get the blood to the muscles. then i do some weights.

ReputationRep:
      I like to do some incline walking on the treadmill for five minutse.
      I then do a bit of med ball rolling - mainly the parts I'd be working out that day.
      Then move on to some mobility drills and shoulder dislocates.

ReputationRep:
      I just stretch for about 15-20 min :/

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by HumanNature1992)
      I just stretch for about 15-20 min :/
      Wth? NEVER stretch cold muscles - do the light jog/cross train if you want to stretch.

ReputationRep:
      I just do 5 mins on the erg, or 50 press ups, its not really something I give much thought to tbh

ReputationRep:
      I always have a pre-gym toss using both hands. Really works the triceps and biceps.

ReputationRep:
      Just don't do what guy 3 said

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kevin J)
      I always have a pre-gym toss using both hands. Really works the triceps and biceps.
      When I try this it only warms up my forearms, do you think there's a problem with my form?

ReputationRep:
      Hmm, why the **** do you go on the x-trainer/cardio machine and jump into the weeights workout?

Thats asking for injury.

When doing chest/back you warm chest, back, hips, shoulders, neck, arms, hands..basically every muscle above your groin area.

Squats and deadlift days (separate) you warm them up with walking, light jogging, stretching, a bit of weight handling here and there to get the blood up.

Now when you hit the weights area you do warm up sets for your chosen lift.I do 40% and then 60% warmup for my lifsts no matter what they are and then I start my routine. If I am going for a personal best I'll put more warmups into my schedule.

ReputationRep:
      Never warmed up in my life ever

ReputationRep:
      When I'm at home I usually run to the gym which is a good 15 minutes away at a reasonably fast pace, which is a good enough warm up for me.

Some light x-trainer action for 10 mins is good, as doing a very light session first before going for the proper weights.

Tbh it doesn't really matter as long as you don't start lifting 'cold'.

ReputationRep:
      I do some foam rolling and dynamic stretches (following this: http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask...tml#question04) and then I do light weights first, a typical warmup for squatting 100 kg would be:

5x 20 kg
      5x 40 kg
      3x 60 kg
      1x 80 kg

Then work sets.

ReputationRep:
      I switch what I do depending on mood/time/routine that day. Sometimes I'll do a cardio session on the treadmill/bike/cross trainer for 10-15mins, sometimes I do what guy 2 said - warm up with light weights. I generally find the latter quicker, so if I'm in a hurry I go straight to the free weights and warm up there.
      I also walk to the gym, very quickly!

ReputationRep:
      I would typically jog to the gym - its only a few minutes away, by the time im there i feel warmed yp enough to start doing the weights i plan to do that given day.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Bishamon)
      Never warmed up in my life ever
      You just rock up and start with your work-set?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SMed)
      You just rock up and start with your work-set?
      My first set tends to be low weight but thats about it. Sometimes I dont even do that, today for instance I went straight into a squat set with 180kg. Never had an injury in the gym either, only injury I ever incurred wasnt even due to lifting.

ReputationRep:
      It's not only injury, though that should be reason enough, but people are stronger after a warm-up. This is pretty conclusive. You've got, not only, expert opinion, VAST amounts of anecdotal and observational data, but there have been controlled trials showing significant measurable strength increases after a warm-up.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.