Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I installed Flyakite OS X on my netbook on Friday, and it has been working fine since then. However, about an hour ago my computer crashed. I turned it off by the button, then turned it on again and now I can't log in :/ I just get this OS X welcome screen but with no users. There is a Shut Down option on this screen, but it won't work. Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work - in fact, I don't think any of the keys function past the actual boot screen.

I have tried a few things to make it work, and Googled the issue, but I haven't been able to fix it.

Help please, anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Is there any way I can retrieve data from my hard drive without being able to log in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by genevie)
    Is there any way I can retrieve data from my hard drive without being able to log in?
    you can take it to PC world and they can retrieve your lost data

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    you can take it to PC world and they can retrieve your lost data
    I mean at home, without taking it to any repair place.

ReputationRep:
    I mean at home, without taking it to any repair place.
    Are you sure the keyboard is plugged in correctly?

As for doing it at home, I hardly doubt it... since the problem is obviously not being able to log in - you're really better off taking it in.

Let us hope more TSRians see this and can offer proper solutions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    Are you sure the keyboard is plugged in correctly?

As for doing it at home, I hardly doubt it... since the problem is obviously not being able to log in - you're really better off taking it in.

Let us hope more TSRians see this and can offer proper solutions
    The keyboard is definitely working, as when it starts up I can press F2, F8, F12 etc.. But when I actually get to the log in screen the buttons do nothing.

I'll take it in if I have to, but I'd really rather not. I'm hoping there is an alternative solution..

ReputationRep:
    Forget it, nothing was working so I had to format it :'(

ReputationRep:
    For future reference, you probably could have started it in safe mode to get the standard windows login screen and then uninstalled flyakite.

ReputationRep:
    Why not put real OS X on it rather than a transformation pack that will undoubtedly slow your netbook down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    For future reference, you probably could have started it in safe mode to get the standard windows login screen and then uninstalled flyakite.
    Tried safe mode 3 times, it didn't work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rorydaredking)
    Why not put real OS X on it rather than a transformation pack that will undoubtedly slow your netbook down?
    Because I didn't want real OS X. I don't like it. I just like the way it looks.

ReputationRep:
    Because I didn't want real OS X. I don't like it. I just like the way it looks.
    Fair

ReputationRep:
    Tried safe mode 3 times, it didn't work.
    Fair enough. I realise that I'm solving a (now) non-existent problem, but I feel more knowledge is always better.
    In this case what you could do is download a linux live iso (say knoppix - http://www.knoppix.net/), burn that to a disk and boot from the cd. This would allow access you your hard drive and would enable recovery of files before reformatting.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. I realise that I'm solving a (now) non-existent problem, but I feel more knowledge is always better.
    In this case what you could do is download a linux live iso (say knoppix - http://www.knoppix.net/), burn that to a disk and boot from the cd. This would allow access you your hard drive and would enable recovery of files before reformatting.
    I have a netbook .. no disk drive
    I'm currently recovering my files, and most of the stuff I wanted is retrievable, so it's not all bad I suppose..

ReputationRep:
    I have a netbook .. no disk drive
    I'm currently recovering my files, and most of the stuff I wanted is retrievable, so it's not all bad I suppose..
    Ah yes, I should have read.
    I assume you have usb drives - http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ allows you to select a usb stick in windows and automatically turn it into a usb drive booting a linux of your choice.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, I should have read.
    I assume you have usb drives - http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ allows you to select a usb stick in windows and automatically turn it into a usb drive booting a linux of your choice.
    Oh, cool.. how could I not find this information through Google before? :confused:
    Anyway, thanks I'll remember that if this ever happens again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.