The Student Room Group

Maths Studies?

I've seen a lot of people saying that top universities will not look at applicants who have maths studies instead of maths SL.

Is this true? Even if your degree will be in a subject completely unrelated to maths - for example, English, or languages?

Surely they'd rather you'd get a better score overall? And compared to A level students who don't even have to have any maths...it just doesn't make much sense! :confused:
Reply 1
Original post by bazoolium
I've seen a lot of people saying that top universities will not look at applicants who have maths studies instead of maths SL.

Is this true? Even if your degree will be in a subject completely unrelated to maths - for example, English, or languages?

Surely they'd rather you'd get a better score overall? And compared to A level students who don't even have to have any maths...it just doesn't make much sense! :confused:

For the most competitive degrees, maths at SL will simply look better than maths studies, because it shows that you're challenging yourself. maths is generally regarded as a "respected academic subject" or whatever, at places like Cambridge and LSE.

This would be a tiny difference though. To illustrate my belief an example: i would think that someone applying to do history, having done an AS level in maths would have a similar advantage to someone who did SL maths over maths studies (also applying for history). I really wouldn't worry about it, chances are that the admissions tutors won't even realise that there's a difference between studies and SL :tongue:
Reply 2
^^ Agreed.

But I think that if you're going for a degree that has limited relation to maths, it shouldn't matter all that much. A 6 or 7 in MSSL would probably be seen as better than scraping a 4 or 5 in SL Maths.

But if you do find that you end up wanting to take a degree where SL Maths is "Recommended" or "Required", you can always do an external course that says you can handle the SL content.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending