Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a lot of people saying that top universities will not look at applicants who have maths studies instead of maths SL.

Is this true? Even if your degree will be in a subject completely unrelated to maths - for example, English, or languages?

Surely they'd rather you'd get a better score overall? And compared to A level students who don't even have to have any maths...it just doesn't make much sense! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bazoolium)
    I've seen a lot of people saying that top universities will not look at applicants who have maths studies instead of maths SL.

Is this true? Even if your degree will be in a subject completely unrelated to maths - for example, English, or languages?

Surely they'd rather you'd get a better score overall? And compared to A level students who don't even have to have any maths...it just doesn't make much sense! :confused:
    For the most competitive degrees, maths at SL will simply look better than maths studies, because it shows that you're challenging yourself. maths is generally regarded as a "respected academic subject" or whatever, at places like Cambridge and LSE.

This would be a tiny difference though. To illustrate my belief an example: i would think that someone applying to do history, having done an AS level in maths would have a similar advantage to someone who did SL maths over maths studies (also applying for history). I really wouldn't worry about it, chances are that the admissions tutors won't even realise that there's a difference between studies and SL

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Agreed.

But I think that if you're going for a degree that has limited relation to maths, it shouldn't matter all that much. A 6 or 7 in MSSL would probably be seen as better than scraping a 4 or 5 in SL Maths.

But if you do find that you end up wanting to take a degree where SL Maths is "Recommended" or "Required", you can always do an external course that says you can handle the SL content.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.