Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just want to know that how much is this question worth out of the total marks. Does it have to be answered as well as the other questions or should it just be an all right answer? My topic is Leisure/ Tourism so I made a list of possible questions and I am trying to make notes on them to be prepared. Any ideas on how to answer this question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliakhtar)
    I just want to know that how much is this question worth out of the total marks. Does it have to be answered as well as the other questions or should it just be an all right answer? My topic is Leisure/ Tourism so I made a list of possible questions and I am trying to make notes on them to be prepared. Any ideas on how to answer this question?
    Hi,
    What exam board is it and the specification?

Most exam boards give you a mark for general accuracy, pronunciation and content. In this case, if the rest of your exam is spot on, you can afford to slip a bit on the unprepared question. That said, the unprepared Q would count towards your spontaniety and fluency.
    Without having a mark scheme it's hard to tell how it would affect you.

ReputationRep:
    If it's GCSE, all they'll be looking for is that you give a decent answer that's relevant and not full of errors.
    I remember mine was just "What can we eat and drink on the beach?" so my answers was just "We can eat ice cream and drink water".

Some prep is good so you have a general idea of what you could say, but of course the question is unprepared so there's not much point in spending too much time on it, and focus on your prepared answers. If you happen to stuff it up, don't worry about it too much. It's only worth a couple of marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinesthetic)
    Hi,
    What exam board is it and the specification?

Most exam boards give you a mark for general accuracy, pronunciation and content. In this case, if the rest of your exam is spot on, you can afford to slip a bit on the unprepared question. That said, the unprepared Q would count towards your spontaniety and fluency.
    Without having a mark scheme it's hard to tell how it would affect you.
    Exam board : Edexcel

I think the mark's out of 20. 10 for content, 5 for accuracy and grammar and 5 for fluency. Not sure though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fretter778)
    If it's GCSE, all they'll be looking for is that you give a decent answer that's relevant and not full of errors.
    I remember mine was just "What can we eat and drink on the beach?" so my answers was just "We can eat ice cream and drink water".

Some prep is good so you have a general idea of what you could say, but of course the question is unprepared so there's not much point in spending too much time on it, and focus on your prepared answers. If you happen to stuff it up, don't worry about it too much. It's only worth a couple of marks.
    I've managed to perfect my prepared questions and I have almost memorized them complete. If I manage to do well on all the other questions and give a decent answer on the unprepared one I should be all right yeah?

ReputationRep:
    I've managed to perfect my prepared questions and I have almost memorized them complete. If I manage to do well on all the other questions and give a decent answer on the unprepared one I should be all right yeah?
    Oh yes of course! Remember it's only GCSE, so although you should really try you best, they're not looking for a massively advanced answer. Just so long as you don't sit there staring blankly at whoever's talking to you and then give a totally irrelevant answer you'll be fine!

Even at AS level, although your answers should be more complex, what the examiner is really looking for is your ability to be spontaneous and give a good quality answer. Of course every question is unprepared though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fretter778)
    Oh yes of course! Remember it's only GCSE, so although you should really try you best, they're not looking for a massively advanced answer. Just so long as you don't sit there staring blankly at whoever's talking to you and then give a totally irrelevant answer you'll be fine!

Even at AS level, although your answers should be more complex, what the examiner is really looking for is your ability to be spontaneous and give a good quality answer. Of course every question is unprepared though.
    Every question? That's harsh -.-

ReputationRep:
    Count yourself lucky you get prepared questions. With my exam board we didn't get a list of questions or anything beforehand at GCSE either.

If you know your topic well, the unexpected question won't be too difficult. As long as you understand the question and your response makes sense then you're fine. They don't expect a hugely complicated answer. Since you know your prepared answers really well, even if your answer to this question is a little lacking, you'll still get a good grade. Don't worry about it, and make sure to practise some possible questions.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes! It's not that bad though. So long as you know your grammar, key vocab and the topic areas well it's fine. And if you really don't know the answer, you can get the examiner to reword it or just skip it completely. So long as you give a good shot at it you're fine.

I remember I got asked things like "A person has no family or friends, what is their life like?" and "Do you think supermarkets do enough to combat the problem of obesity?". Tricky, but I just thought for a moment and gave clear answers which concentrated on the question asked.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.