Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I always wondered how obesity can cause forms of cancer?!:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Obesity meaning you're not eating enough good stuff normally. The vitamins etc. in fruit and veg kill the nasty free radicals in your body that cause cancer

ReputationRep:
    Cancer is bad

ReputationRep:
    As above, there are extra free radicals if you eat the wrong kinds of food and are obese. Excess weight can alter factors like oestrogen/testosterone/progesterone metabolism (adipose tissue is a site for their synthesis) and insulin-like growth factor that regulates balance between cell differentiation, proliferation and apoptosis. It increases gastro-oesophageal reflux which can increase your chances of getting Barrett's oesophagus, where the epithelial type changes in the oesophagus. I think your DNA can be damaged as well from the excess reactive oxygen species, causing faulty proliferation of some cells if they are replicated with the faulty DNA. Increased insulin stimulates cell proliferation as well. There is also an increased, chronic level of inflammation present.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arvin_infinity)
    I always wondered how obesity can cause forms of cancer?!:rolleyes:
    ...is that a disbelieving smily?

ReputationRep:
    Re: Obesity and cancer!?
    As above, there are extra free radicals if you eat the wrong kinds of food and are obese. Excess weight can alter factors like oestrogen/testosterone/progesterone metabolism (adipose tissue is a site for their synthesis) and insulin-like growth factor that regulates balance between cell differentiation, proliferation and apoptosis. It increases gastro-oesophageal reflux which can increase your chances of getting Barrett's oesophagus, where the epithelial type changes in the oesophagus. I think your DNA can be damaged as well from the excess reactive oxygen species, causing faulty proliferation of some cells if they are replicated with the faulty DNA. Increased insulin stimulates cell proliferation as well. There is also an increased, chronic level of inflammation present.

Just to clarify > obesity keep free radicals in the body then those free radicals cause cancer?! also obesity alters factors that leads to uncontrolled division?!
    Through explanation Thanks again

Re: Obesity and cancer!?
    Obesity meaning you're not eating enough good stuff normally. The vitamins etc. in fruit and veg kill the nasty free radicals in your body that cause cancer
    But thats not obesity though! thats called malnutrition ..correct me if I am wrong :cool:
    I mean obese is just eating too much food, being 20% over recommended body weight!
    Is it really something to do with not having enough vitamins!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arvin_infinity)
    Just to clarify > obesity keep free radicals in the body then those free radicals cause cancer?!
    This would be pretty minor compared to the other factors mentioned by Sprockette. The hormonal affects are far more relevant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.