Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Recently in my email I've recieved an email apparently from Llyods TSB saying its an urgent notice in the description even though I don't bank with them and yesterday I recieved a similar sort of email from HSBC even though I don't bank with them either. I haven't actually opened the emails as I imagine they are just some sort of scam but may do on my school computers just to see whats inside. Has anyone recieved anything similar?

ReputationRep:
    Cant really do any damage by opening them. But there is no reason to open them, so just delete them.

ReputationRep:
    Scams are bad.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    People get these all the time. If you don't bank with them then there's not really any way they could have got your email address so it's most likely a scam, and either way, if you don't bank with them then nothing bad's going to happen if you just bin them. Saying that, nothing can really happen by simply opening an email - as long as you don't click on any links or download any files, that is.

ReputationRep:
    I get these all the time. see how the address has all the dots and doesn't just say like HSBC its HSBC.Online.Banking.etc.etc. just looks dodgy as hell ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown?)
    Recently in my email I've recieved an email apparently from Llyods TSB saying its an urgent notice in the description even though I don't bank with them and yesterday I recieved a similar sort of email from HSBC even though I don't bank with them either. I haven't actually opened the emails as I imagine they are just some sort of scam but may do on my school computers just to see whats inside. Has anyone recieved anything similar?
    if you use hotmail even if you open them from your computer you wont get infected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p+i+n+k)
    if you use hotmail even if you open them from your computer you wont get infected.
    Just to be on the safe side I will open them on my school computers.

ReputationRep:
    I received an email asking me to send money to the Nigerian Space program because they had a astronaut stranded in a secret space station built in 1989. Scammers are getting desperate :devil:

ReputationRep:
    if it's actually from "Llyods" then I'm pretty sure it's fake.

ReputationRep:
    If you go to reply to the email, it should tell you the email address that sent it to you in the "To:" box. If it ends in @yahoo.com or something similar, it's 100% fake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glowy Amoeba)
    I received an email asking me to send money to the Nigerian Space program because they had a astronaut stranded in a secret space station built in 1989. Scammers are getting desperate :devil:
    :lol:

That's the funniest scam email I've read yet!

+rep

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is!
    You don't even bank with them, why would they send an urgent email :p:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Unknown?)
    Nothing funnyer than recieving scam emails like that.

My personal favriote was that a doctor cousin of mine died in the asian Tsunami and they needed 1k in transfer fees so they could send me my inheritance of 56 million.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Nothing funnyer than recieving scam emails like that.

My personal favriote was that a doctor cousin of mine died in the asian Tsunami and they needed 1k in transfer fees so they could send me my inheritance of 56 million.
    That's a lot of money for a doctor. Damn, I should have done medicine...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor Chip)
    That's a lot of money for a doctor. Damn, I should have done medicine...
    56 million Ugandan Dollars...

ReputationRep:
    If something was urgent they'd ring you up not send an email. Just delete the damn things.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.