Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I hate that this episode is still bothering me, but I do feel embarrassed. When I was working in a shop 2 years ago (kind of luxury retail), I got "told off" at a company dinner. It is a small company, about 6 employees, and we were having dinner at a nice restaurant. The boss told a story about a guy she knew in the same business, how unclean he was and so on, and when she 'got to her point', she looked me right in the eyes and said "when you're working in a company like that, you brush your teeth, don't you!".
    The reason I felt this was aimed at me (aside from all the others looking down in their plates when she said it) is that my mum told me I sometimes had bad breath when I was younger, so I stopped eating certain things. Now I am completely paranoid. I use floss, tongue scrape, Listerine, mouth spray etc. I bring Airwaves with me all the time and I eat normal. I don't know if I'm completely rid of it and just the idea of my old boss thinking about that way bothers me. From the way she said it, it's like she assumes I don't brush my teeth, which I of course do, and always have! I might be more careful about gum and mouth spray etc now then I was then, but I wasn't unhygienic either. Why can't I let this go

ReputationRep:
    You got merked.

Bump

ReputationRep:
    They sound like horrible people anyway. Forget it, they aren't worth your time.

ReputationRep:
    You're bothered after two years because a comment made by someone might possibly have contained a subtext about your dental hygiene?

It annoys me, as it is my only reference of work, that it didn't end the way I felt it should, I'd like to have find memories, but I don't.
    I thought she handled it in an insensitive way. Even if it was a problem, I'd prefer for her to pull me aside at work and tell me upfront, in a nice way. Not in front of all the others! She's in her 50s and takes pride in being very professional, and if this is her way of handling things, she might as well have been talking about me behind my back.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 5, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.