Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bus drivers accept cash? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This may sound like a silly question but do bus drivers accept cash also?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, try avoid giving notes though.

ReputationRep:
    err yes. kinda depends what you want them to do though

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, though the 'modern' bus driver tends to get pissed off easily.

The old-skool bus drivers are lovely :love:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Buses in Glasgow and Edinburgh require you have the correct change...

They also evil you if you use two 50p pieces rather than a pound coin...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    What would they accept as opposed to cash and pass cards....? I don't think they'd be too happy if you gave them a cheque or your credit card.

ReputationRep:
    Depends where you are in the UK. In Cardiff you have to have the correct change for a ticket. It's a piss-take.

ReputationRep:
    correct change here, too. though the bus drivers are lovely and almost always let you off. i love bus drivers

ReputationRep:
    Nope not in the bendy buses in London. By tickets before boarding or use oyster. For all other buses in London use oyster cards/passes or else you'll piss off either the impatient passengers or the driver. Cant remember the last time i paid by cash,,,,free travel is jus FTW XD

ReputationRep:
    Correct change if you can. Where it's not an obligation it's much appreciated, where it is an obligation you're stuffed if you can't change 'er up.

London is a whole different ball game. Nearly nobody buys tickets on buses anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Why wouldn't they?
    I've never actually been somewhere that wouldn't accept cash as a method of payment.

(Original post by Malkmus)
    Depends where you are in the UK. In Cardiff you have to have the correct change for a ticket. It's a piss-take.
    Same here in Reading, they must be making a fortune from people that don't know the area.

ReputationRep:
    Um, in London they do. Or you use a prepaid ticket or Oyster card. Though, I haven't paid at all for a bus journey, let alone used cash, since I was 13. Free bus travel FTW! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Buses in Glasgow and Edinburgh require you have the correct change...

They also evil you if you use two 50p pieces rather than a pound coin...
    Really? Buses in South Yorkshire must be pretty lenient then compared to others, in fact they probably prefer lots of change like 20p and 50p's so they have enough change to give to someone else.

I've got buses for free in the past because bus drivers didn't have any change to give me so they just let me on anyway. And they are fairly lenient with notes too, although you might get the evils from the bus driver, and giving £20 for a 50p bus fare might be taking the piss a little.

In response to OP, in Sheffield I always used to pay cash to bus drivers, never bought a ticket in advance ever.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if it wasn't such a stupidly high price I'd be able to give exact change.

ReputationRep:
    Wow rest of the UK seems pretty harsh
    I don't think I've ever had the right change, loads of people pay by notes here :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malkmus)
    In Liverpool it doesn't matter, unless you are Southern.

I once baught a day pass with £20. Bus driver didn't care.

ReputationRep:
    I bought a £1.70 ticket with a tenner on saturday as I often do...Never been a problem.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    In Manchester they couldn't give a ****. You can pay with whatever money you have, £10 or £20 is fine also.

ReputationRep:
    Only if you have the correct change, try giving them a £20 note and you can expect some funny looks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalalalalamember)
    This may sound like a silly question but do bus drivers accept cash also?
    Wtf?

Of course they take cash! I presume you're from London and everyone has Oyster cards or equivalents. A bus driver not taking cash would be like a shop refusing to take payment unless you pay on your card.

Try not to use a £20 or a £50. Most won't have change for £20s and can't take £50s as part of company policy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.