Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed in recent days that the peaceful groups organising Thursday's protest (such as the national campaign against fees and cuts - anticuts.com) has published legal advice on their website for what to do incase of arrest - the rights you have etc. But I don't understand why, if the implication of the website is that it is a peaceful protest, they post arrest advice? What exactly would be breaking the law in terms of a protest? What could you be arrested for? Like last week the police tried to kettle protesters but they kept running away - was that illegal?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it's simply a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Like on Tuesday in London, 150 odd people were arrested simply for not moving off Trafalgar Square. You could be standing there quite peacefully indeed yet still get arrested if the police think the protest has gone on long enough and claim you're 'breaching the peace' (a very subjective reason for arrest).

In the kettle in Bristol on Tuesday police were threatening to arrest anyone that didn't move off the road after they were released.

ReputationRep:
    I really wouldn't worry about it too much, most of it is just a precaution. Those people on the last London protest were just driven to the closest tube station and released. convienent really, a police taxi service.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Because when the **** hits the fan the police cannot always tell who is doing what. Odds are a lot of people will get arrested taken out of the area and released without charges being pressed.

ReputationRep:
    protesting in my view is rebellion against the establishment, serious actions should be taken to stop those in the decay of society for participating in this most insulting action

peace out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honestly)
    protesting in my view is rebellion against the establishment, serious actions should be taken to stop those in the decay of society for participating in this most insulting action

peace out
    you are insane

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.