Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I good enough to get into Oxbridge for maths? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I really want to do maths at Oxbridge but I am not sure if I am good enough.

In my GCSE's overall I got 9 A*'s 1 A ( and 1 B (in technology) I got 2 A*s for maths (maths and additional maths) and I am not sure of my exact additional maths score but for maths I got 598/100 UMS and i know I only dropped one mark overall, but that was at GCSE.

I am now at college doing maths and further maths (chemistry and biology too but they don't matter much) and I am consistently hitting over 90% in all tests and am going for 95-100% in all of my January maths exams. Hoping for A/A* in bio and chem too.

But here is why I am not sure I am good enough, even though I can score very highly in tests, I took the UKMT senior maths challenge and didn't know what to expect, and I wanted a gold but I had never done anything like that before, and I only got a silver, (although i was only 2 correct answers off gold).

I have always been confident about my chances of at least getting an interview (and from there I hoped my passion for maths would get me an offer )

Now I am not sure if I am good enough to get an interview, what do you think?

Answers from people who recieved a place at a top university for maths or those who interview for these universities would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks (sorry for my rambling ;p)

ReputationRep:
    I don't go to a top university, nor do I study maths but it isn't it quite obvious that you could get into Oxbridge?! You have top grades, if you're passionate and you do well in the interviews then why not? Also don't be disheartened because you *only* got a silver, I'm sure this shouldn't be a reason to suddenly doubt your chances.

Edit: forgot about step tests, I know friends who had to get 1,1 in them for cambridge and i'm not sure about oxford.. my boyfriend applied for oxford and he failed his maths admission test so I'd advise you to look at past papers to get a clear idea of what's needed.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford have their own admissions test for maths. I don't think I did very well in it and I didn't get an interview. I get the impression that Cambridge would be more likely to give you an interview but their offer is harder if you get one, usually involves getting 1,1 in STEP 2 & 3. I got either a gold or a silver for every maths challenge, was always close to the gold boundary when I got silvers. I ended up only getting a 3 in STEP 1 too so I wouldn't say STEP and the maths challenge are that similar. I got an A in maths (I got over 90% in A2 modules so would be the same as an A* now) and an A in further maths. I am at UCL doing maths with modern languages, 2nd year. Not sure how helpful my post is really lol but I did apply for Oxford so I thought it might be a bit useful. If you apply to Oxford definitely look at their past admissions tests A LOT.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, no. 90% is pathetic. You're going to have to work harder than that.

ReputationRep:
    Blatant troll is blatant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.