Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i have an interview for Derby to do primary teaching. It's on wednesday, and i was just wondering if anybody else is going too? : )

ReputationRep:
    same i have on weds

those tests were suspose to do what level do you think they will be at xxx

ReputationRep:
    mmm well i've had one interview so far and it was like keystage 2/3 i think. although we didnt have a sciece test, so i'm not sure about that they werent too hard, although i guess it depends what you think is hard : ) ahha

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!

Let us know how it goes!

ReputationRep:
    I sent my application off a couple of weeks ago and haven't had a reply yet... hopefully I'll get an interview though. Good luck with yours! I know we have tests etc but I'm not sure exactly what will be involved, if you have any ideas or could help me after your interview that would be brilliant

Good luck again guys...

ReputationRep:
    thanksss : ) and yeye i will get back to you on that one : D

ReputationRep:
    hey was just wondering where else you had all appliedd?

ReputationRep:
    gloucestershire, york st Johns, Derby, Sunderland, and Bedfordshire : )...had two of them now. two more to go: ) youuu? : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaztag123)
    I sent my application off a couple of weeks ago and haven't had a reply yet... hopefully I'll get an interview though. Good luck with yours! I know we have tests etc but I'm not sure exactly what will be involved, if you have any ideas or could help me after your interview that would be brilliant

Good luck again guys...
    heeey so i had my derby interview today : ) went ok, could have been better, but could have been a lot worse : )

soooo basically, you get there, do the maths english and science tests- which at the end of the day, are shown back to you (marked) and youre given feedback : ) anddd then you go on the accommodation tour andte campus tour, then its lunch. then theres a 40min talk about the course, and then its the interview bit.

so in the interview theres about 8 of you, and you go round introducing yourselves etccccc, mm and you talk about your experiences , what you learnt stuff like that (only for like a minute, its not to hard) the they ask 3 main questions, which you all discuss as a group. ours were stuff to do with current issues, behaviour of bad children and how teachers have delt with them....oh and then a 'fun' activity, where you get 30 secs to come up with how you would teach children about a certain object-which is given to you : ) and i think thats it : )

although, in mine there was a 'mature' student who acted as if she new everything, and is if we were below her. she talked looooooads and hardly gave anybody else a chance, so just watch out for people like that, you need to make them know what your about

ReputationRep:
    Hi, congrats on your interview

I'm a first year BEd trainee at Derby uni and was in exactly your position this time last year. If you have any questions just ask or message me!

xx

(Original post by SuperEf)
    heeey so i had my derby interview today : ) went ok, could have been better, but could have been a lot worse : )

soooo basically, you get there, do the maths english and science tests- which at the end of the day, are shown back to you (marked) and youre given feedback : ) anddd then you go on the accommodation tour andte campus tour, then its lunch. then theres a 40min talk about the course, and then its the interview bit.

so in the interview theres about 8 of you, and you go round introducing yourselves etccccc, mm and you talk about your experiences , what you learnt stuff like that (only for like a minute, its not to hard) the they ask 3 main questions, which you all discuss as a group. ours were stuff to do with current issues, behaviour of bad children and how teachers have delt with them....oh and then a 'fun' activity, where you get 30 secs to come up with how you would teach children about a certain object-which is given to you : ) and i think thats it : )

although, in mine there was a 'mature' student who acted as if she new everything, and is if we were below her. she talked looooooads and hardly gave anybody else a chance, so just watch out for people like that, you need to make them know what your about

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I'm a first year BEd trainee at Derby uni and was in exactly your position this time last year. If you have any questions just ask or message me!

xx

(Original post by Gaztag123)

Good luck again guys...

ReputationRep:
    ooo ye i will do. i bet that means you were in at least one of the million photos they showed us : ) hahah

ReputationRep:

hey i have my interview on tuesday at derby!

any tips for group interview? how long does it last?

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charl_124)
    hey i have my interview on tuesday at derby!

any tips for group interview? how long does it last?

x
    ooo good luck!...it lasts about a hour, but then plus about 40 mins to sort out your certificates and stuff at the end. mmm theres about 8 of you in a semi circle, with two interviewers, they ask you to talk a bit about yourself, about what you learnt at your work experiences, basically a chance to just talk for a minute about it all. mmm then they ask the group three questions, and for each one, you all discuss it, making points about what the current issues are (the question will most likely relate to that some how) and also relate your experiences with it. just make sure you're confident and talk enough from the start, instead of others taking over. so for preparation, id advise you to read some articles about the current issues and stuff. maybe get the TES paper if you havnt already. dont get to worried about the little talk you have to make about what you learnt, they make it seem worse than it is. its seriously a doddle. you'll be fine : )
    x

ReputationRep:
    ooo good luck!...it lasts about a hour, but then plus about 40 mins to sort out your certificates and stuff at the end. mmm theres about 8 of you in a semi circle, with two interviewers, they ask you to talk a bit about yourself, about what you learnt at your work experiences, basically a chance to just talk for a minute about it all. mmm then they ask the group three questions, and for each one, you all discuss it, making points about what the current issues are (the question will most likely relate to that some how) and also relate your experiences with it. just make sure you're confident and talk enough from the start, instead of others taking over. so for preparation, id advise you to read some articles about the current issues and stuff. maybe get the TES paper if you havnt already. dont get to worried about the little talk you have to make about what you learnt, they make it seem worse than it is. its seriously a doddle. you'll be fine : )
    x
    ahh thanku!! when they sort out certificates etc do you have any type of individual interview where they ask you more questions? or is it just literally going through test marks/certificates? xxx

ReputationRep:
    literally going through them. but they ask if you have any questions, or anything which you wish to add : ) xx

ReputationRep:

Hi there well done on your interview sounds like it went well!!!
    I just wanted to know (as I have my interview on the 2nd feb) what the test are like?

ReputationRep:
    the testssss, well, firstly, derby is the only uni (which ive had an interview at) that doesnt actually take them seriously unless you get like 2 out 20. ha. which im sure you wont : ) they are also the only ones who test you on science, wich was a bit annoying for me because im not very good at it...basically, for maths go on the bitesize key stage 3 bit and revise the two first topics, which i thinkkkk are the number one, and the algebra one. you just need to remind yourself basically.
    ive never been good at spellings, but got 7/10 which, well, could have been worse : ) haha. if you are really bad at spellings, use this list (which yes, is incredibly wrong) but just look over them a bit. after derby i had a spelling test at gloucestershire too, so i looked over the spellings and that helped loads : ) you get a sentence where you have to put in the correct punctuation- not hard really. and then theres a passage, and you just have to answer a few simple questions.
    Oh and the science, you need to know the definitions of 'conclusion' 'evaluation' 'hypothesis' and those type of words- you have to match words with definitions. and thats it really : ) good luck! you'll be fine, it really isnt as bad as you think : )

ReputationRep:
    oh woops. ha. the website didnt come up....it doesnt work sometimes...just search english standards on the dfes site : ) x

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much you've been a great help let me know when you get your offer as I'm sure you will

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.