Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

White/yellowish tongue coating Watch

ReputationRep:
    Let me start off by saying that I don't have jaundice, thrush, gingivitis or HIV lol. I guess this ties in with morning breath which everyone gets.

Now I brush my teeth 2-3 times a day and use a mouth wash (listerine) 3-4 times while brushing my tongue thoroughly each time and I drink plenty of water/green tea and I chew sugar free gum so my oral hygiene is pretty good.

I've noticed the coating is usually white first thing when I wake up I guess this could be due to an extremely dry mouth while sleeping and by the end of the day is some times reemerges with a yellowish tint. Like a few days ago even though I was chugging down bottles of water my mouth kept going dry and lo and behold the coating was back. The fact that it came back later on in the day has me worried I mean it's not something you want people catching a glimpse of.

Usually after brushing in the morning its reduced to a pale white and largely unnoticeable coating but that seems to be a temporary solution... Is there a certain product/food that will completely remove it and the cause? Chopping the tongue off is not an option.

ReputationRep:
    I know this sounds kinda gross but have you tried actually scraping your tongue to remove the coating?

ReputationRep:
    Candida? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisnew)
    Let me start off by saying that I don't have jaundice, thrush, gingivitis or HIV lol. I guess this ties in with morning breath which everyone gets.

Now I brush my teeth 2-3 times a day and use a mouth wash (listerine) 3-4 times while brushing my tongue thoroughly each time and I drink plenty of water/green tea and I chew sugar free gum so my oral hygiene is pretty good.

I've noticed the coating is usually white first thing when I wake up I guess this could be due to an extremely dry mouth while sleeping and by the end of the day is some times reemerges with a yellowish tint. Like a few days ago even though I was chugging down bottles of water my mouth kept going dry and lo and behold the coating was back. The fact that it came back later on in the day has me worried I mean it's not something you want people catching a glimpse of.

Usually after brushing in the morning its reduced to a pale white and largely unnoticeable coating but that seems to be a temporary solution... Is there a certain product/food that will completely remove it and the cause? Chopping the tongue off is not an option.
    PLEASE AVOID USING TOUGNE SCRAPERS they can cause more harm than good!
    Try brushing your tounge with your toothbrush
    Also listerine could be the cause as it is very acidic, its really bad for your teeth!...avoidusing it as it can cause a lot of damage due to its high ph, your mouth can only stand so much
    Could be thrush in the mouth?(see above post for other name for it^^^)

ReputationRep:
    Its a yeast/fungal infection more than likely due to terrible hygiene or acid reflux coming up in the night.

You're best bet is to use mouthwash regularly and a tongue scraper.

ReputationRep:
    OP, screw all this scraping nonsense. Just go to your GP. You probably need anti-fungal treatment.

ReputationRep:
    Reminded me of this lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHI01BbtwZs

watch it from 2.12 - aaaa love That Mitchell and Webb Look!! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling that I've read about green tea doing that to tongues...

I'm probably wrong though!

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_tongue ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellakrystina)
    I have a feeling that I've read about green tea doing that to tongues...

I'm probably wrong though!
    I hope not...
    I drink about 8 cups a day lol

Just go to your doctor and get it sorted.
    If you have good oral hygiene you can't do much else to prevent it.

In my experience though, when I gave up dairy completely I had absolutely no white coating on my tongue. When i started eating dairy I got it again.

Not sure why but thats my experience :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secret_smile)
    I hope not...
    I drink about 8 cups a day lol

Just go to your doctor and get it sorted.
    If you have good oral hygiene you can't do much else to prevent it.

In my experience though, when I gave up dairy completely I had absolutely no white coating on my tongue. When i started eating dairy I got it again.

Not sure why but thats my experience :dontknow:
    Yeah, my oral hygiene is good and I'm absolutely positive it's not thrush (candida) as I've seen pictures and it looks nothing like it. It's not even really causing bad breathe unless it's the first thing in the morning.

I have a feeling it's certain foods/dry mouth causing it. Hope it's not green tea I love that stuff :P I can reduce it significantly but I'd like to get rid of it completely. Guess the doctor might have some answers.

Also not sure why somebody would neg the original question ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it is semen. Or stale semen.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.