Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, from what i can work out
    LDL carries cholesterol to cells

HDL carries cholesterol away from cells

Without enough LDL cells will not be able to maintain their structure and die because cholesterol is needed to build up their cell membranes.

Without enough HDL cells will continue growing their cell membranes, larger and larger as the cholesterol will not be taken away.

The reason for Coronary heart disease is because the cells in the arteries build up larger blocking the blood flow?

im pretty sure what i said about HDL isnt egsactly correct, any help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amscared)
    Hi, from what i can work out
    LDL carries cholesterol to cells

HDL carries cholesterol away from cells

Without enough LDL cells will not be able to maintain their structure and die because cholesterol is needed to build up their cell membranes.

Without enough HDL cells will continue growing their cell membranes, larger and larger as the cholesterol will not be taken away.

The reason for Coronary heart disease is because the cells in the arteries build up larger blocking the blood flow?

im pretty sure what i said about HDL isnt egsactly correct, any help?
    I m a little confused about what the q is but I ll give it a go
    HDL pick up excess cholesterol and transport it to the liver for removal.
    LDL build up o the cells& if there are too many they cannot all be absorbed & blood cholesterol increases.
    Hope that helps,quote me if I m not clear enough or haven t answered your Q.
    Sorry Got to go
    might be online again 2night

ReputationRep:
    page 24 explains it well http://books.google.com/books?id=2Hj...&q=ldl&f=false

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.