Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Relevant extra curricular's for computer science application? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello all.

I want to study computer science at university and was wondering if you had any ideas of extra curricular stuff to help my application.

I will probably read about the subject and learn some language, I also do music and sport, but I just wanted to know if you had any suggestions, for example, relevant work experience or something.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Somehow, I don't think they'll be asking you to be captain of the rugby team

ReputationRep:
    Science subjects often don't ask for a whole host of EC's; It's more about the academic ability.

If you're already doing sport/music it's probably enough.

ReputationRep:
    I think although it is important to show that you are a well rounded person with interests outside of the classroom, it is not vital for those activities to be closely linked to your degree choice when applying for something like Computer Science.

Basically an admissions tutor wants to know that you can study hard but also relax and contribute to the university / community as a whole.

Sport/Music is good - some relevant work experience would obviously be a big bonus but probably not absolutely essential.

ReputationRep:
    I play the guitar, rugby at the weekend and volunteer once in a while. So far I've got three offers and no rejections for IT. My PS didn't really have much content about those three things and I certainly didn't go into any detail - as long as you can show you're not a recluse I don't think they care too much to be honest, especially when it comes to computer related degrees.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.