Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is your body clock at all messed up? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I can safely say mine is so much that I no longer think it exists.

I had a snowball war at 2am on Wednesday/Thursday and then slept from 10am Thurs til around 6pm Friday (I kept meaning to get out of bed every time I woke p but ended up just rolling over and going back to sleep).

Other times I've gone to bed at 3pm, woken up at 1am and not got back to sleep for 4 hours.

And then this getting dark early is making me think it's later than it really is and right this moment I'm considering getting into bed, sticking a film on and going to sleep.

I suppose this is part of all what first year is about, right?

ReputationRep:
    Pull an all night, you'll feel tired the next day but you'll fall asleep about 9pm and get up at a normal time, then you'll be back to normal.

ReputationRep:
    yeah true, i remember comin back from my friends flat at like random times like 4am or 7am and having lectures at 9am, but yeah its fun fun fun

ReputationRep:
    I've managed to keep mine normal. Even if I go to bed late I tend to get up before 12pm at the latest. And if I'm really tired at a time like this I'd wait until a normal bedtime (10/11pm) to go to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much what lazy smurf said. It can take a few days to get your sleep cycle back, but just go to bed at the time that you want to be asleep by and set alarms to make sure you don't oversleep etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm essentially nocturnal. Even working 9-5 for 3 months over the summer didn't fix me, just nearly destroyed me due to my inability to sleep at normal times combined with having to get up early

ReputationRep:
    Mine's fine, somehow I've managed to keep a normal sleep pattern throughout uni!!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Ah the joys of not being able to sleep pre 4am...

Judging by the fact that when I'm on fb chat in the early hours of the morning most of my uni friends are also on, it's definitely normal for us freshers to have crazy sleep patterns!

I've got some sleeping tablets to try and sort out my sleep tho cos I have some 9:30am exams over next two weeks...hideously early and I wont cope well with little sleep...

Mine is pretty messed up, to the point where I'm worried I might develop some kind of proper insomnia. I often go to bed at 3-4 am and can't sleep. Eventually, I fall asleep and wake up at about 2pm or so, sometimes 3pm.

The bodyclock reset technique only works if you've got self-discipline of steel, and can sustain it for a period of a few days; even then, one late night can ruin it.

I often find that if there's anything vaguely important or interesting the following day (exam, first day at work, fun day out with friends etc.) I just can't sleep, even though I don't feel excited, nervous etc. For that, I'm going to buy an emergency bottle of Nytol or something.

ReputationRep:
      Yes and it's a right p*sstake

ReputationRep:
      I think what my problem is is that I have a 1pm lecture on Mondays so I can afford to sleep in til 11, hence going to bed early or late and despite waking up at early hours I can always go back to sleep for a bit.

I then have 9am lectures on tues and weds but then a long weekend meaning lie-ins and late nights.

Oh well, s'all good fun.

ReputationRep:
      Mine has completely shattered and i couldnt get it back to normal.

Last week i would sleep at 6am and wake up at 2pm, and i wasn't able to reverse it without the help of good ol temapezam

ReputationRep:
      I'm an insomniac, my body clock is permanently messed up. I try and maintain a system where I wake at 0430 exactly, but it often skips, then I have to not sleep at all to reset...

ReputationRep:
      Went to bed: 7:00
      Woke up: 16:30

This is not unusual.

So I am going to hazard a guess at yes.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Cicerao)
      Went to bed: 7:00
      Woke up: 16:30

This is not unusual.

So I am going to hazard a guess at yes.
      Ditto to this. Went to bed at 5am after drinking copious amounts of cheap cider and woke up at 3pm.

(Original post by Sir_Vile_Minds)
        I think what my problem is is that I have a 1pm lecture on Mondays so I can afford to sleep in til 11, hence going to bed early or late and despite waking up at early hours I can always go back to sleep for a bit.

I then have 9am lectures on tues and weds but then a long weekend meaning lie-ins and late nights.

Oh well, s'all good fun.
        Erratic timetabling is one of the main causes for me, too - at least for work you're up at the same time every day and generally in for 9am.

Call me mad, but a compulsory 9 or 10am class every day would be bliss from the body clock point of view.

ReputationRep:
        Kinda, but mainly cause I'm watching the cricket until like 3 in the morning, going to sleep, then waking up at 6 to catch the last hours play...

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by ch0llima)
        Erratic timetabling is one of the main causes for me, too - at least for work you're up at the same time every day and generally in for 9am.

Call me mad, but a compulsory 9 or 10am class every day would be bliss from the body clock point of view.
        From the body clock, definitely but I like my 1am start as it means that if I have a busy weekend I still have the chance to rest :cool:

EDIT: Just occurred to me that I have a 2 month xmas holiday. That is really gonna screw things up for me.

ReputationRep:
        Yes, to the extent that my weekends have disappeared. Dragging myself out of bed at 1 this afternoon to finish an essay was painful.
        Also, the cricket doesn't help. I feel compelled to watch at least the first two sessions. Then the last. So I go to sleep at about 7am.
        I just know the entire holiday will be spent asleep.

ReputationRep:
        Mine is ****ed, I became obsessed with Startrek Enterprise s3 and just HAD to finish it. Been going to bed at 7am regularly and getting up at 9am for lectures. This weekend I slept from 7am till 6pm. Gonna pull an all night stint tonight and try and sort myself out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
      Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.