Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently on an art foundation course and i'm really having trouble thinking what to do next. I don't know which uni/course to apply to! We've been told we have to send off our ucas applications by friday! I haven't been to any open days :/ I was thinking of applying to Falmouth because i've visited many times while on holiday in Cornwall and think it's a really lovely place but i'm not sure i'd want to go to uni there. It's just abit small and I want the full uni experience.

The courses i've been looking at are illustration, animation, costume/set design, surface design, anything interior design related.

I want to go somewhere scenic but with plenty of things to do, nightlife etc. Can anyone suggest/recommend anywhere? Literally anything will be helpful!
    I'm completely clueless!

ReputationRep:
    If you aren't sure which course or which university is right, are you sure that you are ready to go to university?

ReputationRep:
    I just enjoy loads of areas in art but i'm not sure which to focus on yet.
    I am ready, it's just a case of leaving things til the last minute and not preparing myself properly :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry-fields)
    I'm currently on an art foundation course and i'm really having trouble thinking what to do next. I don't know which uni/course to apply to! We've been told we have to send off our ucas applications by friday! I haven't been to any open days :/ I was thinking of applying to Falmouth because i've visited many times while on holiday in Cornwall and think it's a really lovely place but i'm not sure i'd want to go to uni there. It's just abit small and I want the full uni experience.

The courses i've been looking at are illustration, animation, costume/set design, surface design, anything interior design related.

I want to go somewhere scenic but with plenty of things to do, nightlife etc. Can anyone suggest/recommend anywhere? Literally anything will be helpful!
    I'm completely clueless!
    You could look at something like 3D design? Falmouth is lovely, I know it's not in the most "happening" area but I'm applying there for photography as it's a really strong arts uni.

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't decided this, you are not ready to apply to university.

the UCAS deadline is not until January 15th. Provided that your school/college has your completed application by the 2nd January, they should be able to complete your reference and the administration in time. Schools try to put pressure on students to get their applications in as soon as possible for their own convenience (there is an advantage in certain subjects - not art based - in applying early). If they continue to be difficult about this, involve your parents/guardian and get them to explain that you have not had sufficient "information, advice and guidance" to make a proper decision about how to spent 3 years of your life and up to £20,000+ of your money.

the latter point is clearly true based on your post. Talk to your art/design teacher about your strengths/interests. Then ask them for course/unis that they would recommend (beware - their advice may be neither accurate or up to date). You will need a very different portfolio, depending which course you choose. Then read the prospectuses very carefully to see which courses appeal, look at The Times league tables and talk to as many people as possible about which places are best for your course/best suited to your interests. Come back on here and ask for specific advice on say illustration.

Get a move on. You have less than a month or face paying up to three times as much in tuition fees if you start uni in 2012.

Remember too, that uni is not the best choice for everyone and in art/design subjects there is a chance you may never earn enough to pay back your student loans.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    It's extremely unwise to choose an art school without having been to an open day, or at least visiting the campus in advance. Each and every art school is unique and therefore looks for different qualities in students. You will get a much better idea of what to submit in your portfolio by seeing a faculty, speaking to tutors there and looking at what the current students are doing. Higher education is not like high school, where everyone is taught more or less the same thing.

In addition, you should consider whether you want to attend a university campus or art school, as the two are very different and you can't get a feel for this until you visit a few places.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but you really need to get yourself sorted out sooner rather than later, since you are up against loads of competition this year, students who already know what they want and have done the research on what they need to do to get there.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I know it was silly of me to leave everything so late. Thanks for the advice everyone. I've pretty much decided what I want to do now. Thanks for the help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.