The Student Room Group

If You Are Feeling Lonely At Uni

Hey when you start uni everything can become lonely. I have some tips, I want to share out. :wink:

1.) The only way you can FEEL lonely is if you are bored. So go out there walk in parks, go to places, visit theme parks, get into the FREE stuff, involve in things happening in your local area volunteer in places that could be realated to your job.

2.) Go to the library and join a club, if your into eduction find books - and read them, write notes, and become more clever.

3.) Make friends - its a good thing to make friends, people who you can trust when you start uni, thats a good way to get rid of loneliness!

4.) Visit your parents - visit your parents families and friends.

5.) Have fun, always have something to do!

Hope these help :rolleyes::wink::biggrin::smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:smile:
By the looks of most peoples posts when they're lonely 3,4 and 5 are the issues. E.g. some people are introvert/don't make friends so easily, some are just homesick, some are a combination of 3 and 5 because their flatmates don't have much in common with them so they don't become friends, therefore don't have fun.

Still though, good advice. Especially when 1 + 2 = a good way to meet new people which can lead to 3 + 5 happening.
Reply 3
Not that heplpful, its easy enough telling people to make friends and have fun but if they knew how to do that, they wouldnt be in this situation. -_-
Reply 5
Original post by Lewroll
Not that heplpful, its easy enough telling people to make friends and have fun but if they knew how to do that, they wouldnt be in this situation. -_-

Hi thats a very good point, I think the best way to make friends is get involves in events like I said above. I know how you feel its not easy making friends.
Reply 6
Original post by Sequoia Throne
By the looks of most peoples posts when they're lonely 3,4 and 5 are the issues. E.g. some people are introvert/don't make friends so easily, some are just homesick, some are a combination of 3 and 5 because their flatmates don't have much in common with them so they don't become friends, therefore don't have fun.

Still though, good advice. Especially when 1 + 2 = a good way to meet new people which can lead to 3 + 5 happening.

Original post by My Life
Make friends - its a good thing to make friends, people who you can trust when you start uni, thats a good way to get rid of loneliness!

Advice if you're feeling lonely = go and make some friends.

Brilliant. And I suppose your advice for cutting crime levels is for criminals to stop doing things that are against the law, right?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by JohnnytheFox
Advice if you're feeling lonely = go and make some friends.

Brilliant. And I suppose your advice for cutting crime levels is for criminals to stop doing things that are against the law, right?

What are you talking about? :confused:
Reply 9
Look guys,
This advice is to help you, im not trying to complaint on anything.
Some people have to find disadvantages
I can't think of anything more lonely than wondering around a theme park on my own. That might just be me though...
Reply 11
Original post by My Life

2.) Go to the library and join a club, if your into eduction find books - and read them, write notes, and become more clever.

Haha are you joking? Most people who are at uni are into 'education'!!!! As if I don't have enough notes to learn from my course already?!?!
Reply 12
Original post by LeeC
Haha are you joking? Most people who are at uni are into 'education'!!!! As if I don't have enough notes to learn from my course already?!?!

Lol I know but atleast it stops your lonliness
Hi I really like your advice.
Original post by My Life
Hey when you start uni everything can become lonely. I have some tips, I want to share out. :wink:

1.) The only way you can FEEL lonely is if you are bored. So go out there walk in parks, go to places, visit theme parks, get into the FREE stuff, involve in things happening in your local area volunteer in places that could be realated to your job.

3.) Make friends - its a good thing to make friends, people who you can trust when you start uni, thats a good way to get rid of loneliness!

Some g00d advice
Reply 15
Thx . Some people blurt out problems, good you gave some advice.
Your right about people blurting out disadvantages, this thread is to help.
Reply 16
If you are feeling lonely you should probably spend less time on TSR!
Reply 18
Original post by My Life

Honestly, the last thing I want to do when I am lonely and alone is going to a theme park or somewhere like that. It would make me feel even worse as you always see loads of groups of people with their friends.

And saying 'make friends' isn't really that helpful as most people are lonely because they want to make friends, but haven't. Is this advice serious or just a joke?

Or is this what you did when you felt lonely at uni?
(edited 13 years ago)
I certainly agree with the "bored" thing. If you're feeling lonely, probably the last thing that you'd want to do would be go out with people you don't really know, but that is the BEST thing you'll ever do for yourself.

I felt awful at the beginning of living in halls last year, and my flatmates persuaded me to go for a drink with them.. it was the best thing they ever made me do, because I had a good laugh, and realised that they were good people who I would grow to be close friends with :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending