Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do universities care if I talk about another course in my personal statement? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply to film and psychology but can only find 4 decent choices do you think the 5th choice uni will care if I mention film now and again if I show just how enthusiastic I am for their single course?

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to fill all five, you know?

ReputationRep:
    I know but I guess it's better to have 5!

ReputationRep:
    They'll see you're applying for Film and Psychology, as long as your PS is an even mix, maybe slightly more towards psychology (Not too much, but maybe just a little) then they won't care too much.
    But if you have an insurance and 3 possible firms that you want to go to in those 4, don't worry about a 5th unless you're really not confident you'll get into any of those? :P

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely do a 5th, you've not got anything to loose! And I don't think they mind too much at all. My personal statement was all about vet, and everything (even my extra curriculars etc.) had a slant towards how it would help me as a vet. And I had chemistry as my 5th choice, and got an offer without having mentioned chemistry once in my PS. After all, a substantial part of your PS isn't specific to the course but generally talking about you as a person and extra-curriculars and what not. Where are you applying though? I'd say the only way it could be dodgy was if you were applying to the top of the top unis (Oxbridge/Imperial etc.), because they need to see you are completely and totally committed to your subject. Well, that's what I'm lead to believe anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Try and keep it as relevant as possible.

ReputationRep:
    and maybe focus your personal statement on the course you'd like to do the most

ReputationRep:
    It would be much easier to write if you were applying to two related courses, as then you could take about areas of similarity or how they complement each other. Four Psychology courses and then a film one seems a bit random...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    It would be much easier to write if you were applying to two related courses, as then you could take about areas of similarity or how they complement each other. Four Psychology courses and then a film one seems a bit random...
    No it's for 4 combined film and psychology ones and then one single psychology

Thanks all! It's for Lancaster or Dundee. I have a feeling Lancaster will mind. But I love it a bit more than Dundee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jade20)
    No it's for 4 combined film and psychology ones and then one single psychology

Thanks all! It's for Lancaster or Dundee. I have a feeling Lancaster will mind. But I love it a bit more than Dundee.
    Ohhhh I apologise I read your first post completely wrong then haha. Well in that case it makes much more sense, but yeah like someone else said maybe just gear your ps slightly more towards Psychology.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.