The Student Room Group

Help with applying for Law (ABB/AAB)

First of all, I appreciate this is perhaps a fairly common thread type, but I have spent some time doing my own research.

I want to pursue a career in law, since the English legal system fascinates me and will also present a challenge for me (held down by dyslexia).

In a bit of a predicament with which Uni to pick, predicted AAB/ABB in my A2's, they are not great predictions considering that law is a very competative field and tends to attract the more intelligent students.

Looked at Edinburgh, however it being Scotts law, I would have to undertake a conversion course (£££). My ambitious 5th option is Sheffield, since I particularly like the Uni and location.

Could you help me with some suggestions as to what reputable Uni's I could apply too?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Imo, the best AAB universities are Reading, Kent and Sussex. For ABB, the only ones I can remember are Surrey and Northumbria. Not sure if you're planning to throw in a BBB as well, there are several, such as Oxford Brookes.

Some unis which are AAA/AAB for law single honours will give you a lower offer for a joint honours course, law with another subject. But you need to make sure that it is a qualifying law degree, as you want to practise.

Hope that gives you a starting point for research. You can search for other threads on the topic by going to "advanced search" at the top right hand corner.

All best wishes for your application, law with dyslexia is a particular challenge but it can be done as I know from a friend's experience. You may want to look particularly at the universities' support networks in that regard.
Reply 2
If I recall correctly, Oxford Brookes is the lower tier uni for the city? (i.e sheffield hallam) I was considering BBB as Derby, however I have not actually visited the uni, only the website.

I will also look into the suggested uni's, Northumbria is already on my list.

Any other input will help :smile:
Original post by WDGardiner
If I recall correctly, Oxford Brookes is the lower tier uni for the city? (i.e sheffield hallam) I was considering BBB as Derby, however I have not actually visited the uni, only the website.

I don't know anything about Derby, but I am sure someone else here can give you some advice on that, if you like the course that's a good start and a visit of course is a good idea if you can get there.
Good luck!

Yes it is, is the same way that Northumbria is for Newcastle. However, that should not be your basis of selection. Northumbria, Nottingham Trent and Brookes are generally regarded i.e. not just looking at a single year's league table, as being the best of the post-1992 universities for law.

Derby might be the only university in Derby, but those of us who are older than the average student can remember that when Brookes was OxPoly, Derby was Derby Lonsdale College of Education.
Reply 5
Okay.

It just seems to me that uni's such as Oxford brooke, Sheffield hallam and Northumbria wont be as highly regarded when it comes to finishing the degree and getting a job... all the higher tier uni's will be the favourites, or do firms consider uni's outside the league tables?
Okay.

It just seems to me that uni's such as Oxford brooke, Sheffield hallam and Northumbria wont be as highly regarded when it comes to finishing the degree and getting a job

True

... all the higher tier uni's will be the favourites,

True to a point.

or do firms consider uni's outside the league tables?

There is no "or" about it. Firms favour better universities but plenty of graduates of "lesser" universities get training contracts whilst plenty of graduates of all but the very best universities fail to do so.
Reply 7
Reassuring information, many thanks.
Reply 8
Well,
There is a course at Sheffield Uni, entitled Law and Criminology.
That was the best AAB uni (I thought). I applied there and got my offer :biggrin: So just make your PS very good and you got a good chance :smile:

The plus side is that you still end up with an LLB rather then a BA which is not as good for law. (or so Ive heard)
Reply 9
If you are looking at the Sheffield Law and Crim then look at Lancaster Law and Crim as well. I may be bias (applying there) but I would say Lancaster was better for law than Sheffield.

Also, don't worry about it being a BA not an LLB, they are the same thing, both mean Bachelor of, they are (should be) considered equally.

As someone has already put, Sussex and Kent are considered to be some of the best AAB Unis, and I am applying to ABB Surrey as my backup, it is a nice place and I wouldn't mind staying there for the next few years.

Good luck mate.
Reply 10
Oh, thats interesting.

So law with criminology will be just as readily recognised for further prospects in barrister and solicitor work as an LLB in law?

Sorry for the repitition, I just want to get concrete information.
If you're going to apply to Northumbria, it is important for you to know that it'll be held highly in firms and chambers in the Newcastle area but that if you were to go to London you wouldn't have as much luck. This is just simply because many of the solicitors/barristers in the area qualified at Northumbria.

As a Northumbria student I'd suggest that the best thing for you to do is to visit all of your uni's. You'll notice from Northumbria's website that the facilities are remarkable and you do get a lot of help with your studies (if you ask for it!).

If you've got any questions on Northumbria etc. just ask! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Cheers mate, Northumbria is looking likely at the moment.
AAB/ABB students will be at a disadvantage because there will be students predicted AAA or better applying everywhere (more people applying than ever these days anyway).

EDIT: It is very hard, even for the most able students, to become Solicitors/Barristers these days. Source: my law teacher and the experiences of her friends that she has told us about to encourage us.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
First of all, I appreciate this is perhaps a fairly common thread type, but I have spent some time doing my own research.

I want to pursue a career in law, since the English legal system fascinates me and will also present a challenge for me (held down by dyslexia).

In a bit of a predicament with which Uni to pick, predicted AAB/ABB in my A2's, they are not great predictions considering that law is a very competative field and tends to attract the more intelligent students.

Looked at Edinburgh, however it being Scotts law, I would have to undertake a conversion course (£££). My ambitious 5th option is Sheffield, since I particularly like the Uni and location.

Could you help me with some suggestions as to what reputable Uni's I could apply too?

Thanks

Hi, I hope I can be some sort of help :smile:

Your predicted grades are good, better than mine when I applied last year, my predictions were ABC and still I was able to gain offers from two AAA unis. (failed to meet the conditions, so I am reapplying!)

How about Hull, Keele, Reading, UEA, Oxford Brookes, Nottingham Trent just to name a few? I am planning on going to Reading next year to study law, and they require AAB.

I think you should give Sheffield a shot, or if your worried about your predictions not meeting their AAA standards then how about apply for their law and criminology course which offers AAB?

I hope your application goes well, good luck :smile:
Reply 15

Thanks

i was in the exact same position as you this time last month, and i would highly recommend unis like sussex, surrey and in particular UEA. this is because even though UEA have a grade requirement of AAB, if you narrowly miss out on the grades needed they can be flexible in regard to your application. also, norwich is beautiful! even though UEA is quite a concrete jungle, the atmosphere and friendliness of the staff and students make up for it. its also quite well known for its law school, and satisfaction for law at UEA is amongst some of the best in the country, so definately consider UEA.

good luck, and all the best! :smile:
Have you looked at Bournemouth? It's 340 points it comes in at about ABB + 20 points at an AS, my friend had originally applied there as an insurance, but is thinking of giving up her places at very good unis, e.g. Exeter, to go there instead.
Reply 17
Original post by BrainFactory
AAB/ABB students will be at a disadvantage because there will be students predicted AAA or better applying everywhere (more people applying than ever these days anyway).

EDIT: It is very hard, even for the most able students, to become Solicitors/Barristers these days. Source: my law teacher and the experiences of her friends that she has told us about to encourage us.

I do understand that the competition for such an ambitious career is high, however I am not going to just lie down and let the A* students steam roll me, giving up is weak :wink:

A degree in law is not just an asset for entering the legal profession, but to any future career, its a relatively impressive thing to have on the ol' CV. Regardless of this, I enjoy law, even if I do not manage to get into the legal profession.
Reply 18
Original post by Ohmz
i was in the exact same position as you this time last month, and i would highly recommend unis like sussex, surrey and in particular UEA. this is because even though UEA have a grade requirement of AAB, if you narrowly miss out on the grades needed they can be flexible in regard to your application. also, norwich is beautiful! even though UEA is quite a concrete jungle, the atmosphere and friendliness of the staff and students make up for it. its also quite well known for its law school, and satisfaction for law at UEA is amongst some of the best in the country, so definately consider UEA.

good luck, and all the best! :smile:

Thanks for your response.

I am currently looking at both surrey and sussex as an option, in addition to kent and northumbria. Considering dropping sheffield as an option (waste, even if it is my luck choice).
Reply 19
I do understand that the competition for such an ambitious career is high, however I am not going to just lie down and let the A* students steam roll me, giving up is weak :wink:

A degree in law is not just an asset for entering the legal profession, but to any future career, its a relatively impressive thing to have on the ol' CV. Regardless of this, I enjoy law, even if I do not manage to get into the legal profession.

That the spirit dear fellow!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending