Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I have a bit of a dilemma..
    So next September I'll be leaving home for Goldsmiths. I can't wait but am worried about where I should choose to live! At the moment I'm leaning very heavily towards finding a house or a flat outside of the university because my boyfriend hopes to be moving to London with me. If all goes according to plan this is what will happen. If friends from home are successful in getting accepted to the courses they've applied to at universities near(ish) Goldsmiths, then we might look to get them involved in a house as well.

    I'm wasn't really keen on the halls I've visited before, it might sound spoilt but I'm an only child and used to personal space so not great with unwelcome noise. As well, I don't see the attraction of being allocated some strangers to live with! I know many people are lucky to get along very well with their housemates, but still.. don't get it.

    The biggest worry about living independantly would be for my social life. I've read some forums on here about 'halls vs living at home', and can understand how not living with an instant social group could cause problems with meeting new people, but can the same be said for independant housing? Btw, I am a sociable person, and don't usually find it hard to make friends.

    Sooo long post but pros and cons of both please! xx

    Halls experience is really good. You won't have the same uni experience if you live in a private house. And you can always live in a private house in 2nd and 3rd year so there is plenty of time for it. Also in halls all bills are included so it gives you a bit more freedom to enjoy yourself and not worry about bills, just your rent!
How are you feeling about your exams?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.


Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.