Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any way to see computers downstream from router? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, got a wireless router in my room at uni (it's allowed so please don't chime in with is that allowed) and want to see shared iTunes libraries on the network. If I connect directly to the port, then I can see all the libraries, but connected to my router I can only see computers on the actual network.
    Seems a long shot, but any way I can see the shared libraries on the network through the router?

ReputationRep:
    When using a router inside the university's network it's easier to think of the internet as another network.

That is, when you use a router at home, you're embedding your home network inside the internet. So now, you're embedding your own network inside the Uni network inside the internet. As far as iTunes is concerned, everything past the router is the big wide world, and I don't think you can change that. The only way to make it work AFAIK is if iTunes lets you share over the internet. Perhaps it allows you to manually add a library using an IP address?

ReputationRep:
    From memory the iTunes library uses mechanisms that only work on the local network. Putting a router in the middle means you're no longer on the same network as they other machines so you cannot see them. I'm not sure if there is any way to make iTunes work as you want.

One option might be to see if people could setup a shared folder with music on and then connect to their computer by IP address and look for the shared folder. That should work over your router (unless it's blocking it)

ReputationRep:
    Can you not just set up the wireless router as a switch (i.e. disable dhcp in the router)? This will give everything connected to the router Uni assigned ip addresses and hence your computer will be on the university local network as far as iTunes is concerned.

I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Can you not just set up the wireless router as a switch (i.e. disable dhcp in the router)? This will give everything connected to the router Uni assigned ip addresses and hence your computer will be on the university local network as far as iTunes is concerned.

I think.
    Oh thanks, ill have a look into that. I assume switch=no wireless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rorydaredking)
    Oh thanks, ill have a look into that. I assume switch=no wireless
    Not at all. Wireless should be possible. Turning it into a switch merely means your router is not assigning ip addresses - it just acts as a communication channel instead of doing some management of the network itself. Since wireless is just another communication method, I see no problems...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Not at all. Wireless should be possible. Turning it into a switch merely means your router is not assigning ip addresses - it just acts as a communication channel instead of doing some management of the network itself. Since wireless is just another communication method, I see no problems...
    It will work fine as long as the university doesn't run a one device per person policy. With the way he has it set-up now with NAT, it's masking the other multiple devices. Changing it to a switch will mean those other devices get registered, if the Uni only allows one device per person, only the original device registered will work.

But, with him saying it's allowed, I don't see a problem.

OP: What you want to do is go into your router settings and turn off NAT, DHCP and the Firewall.

This will turn the router into a switch and Access Point, as stated above. You also need to change the way it's connected. I'm assuming you have the router plugged into the wall via the 'Internet' or 'WAN' port on the back, you need to change this to the 'LAN' ports, (should be 4 grouped together).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.