Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I thought I would come here to ask for advice on what kind of career to pursue. I graduated 2 and a half months ago and at the time, I was intending to get onto a archive assistant traineeship and apply for UCL's course on Archives & Records Management for next year. Unfortunately, I did not get any of the traineeships I applied for and have found it hard to get volunteer experience in an archive (I need about a year's worth of paid or unpaid work in the field before I start the course). i have managed to gain about 4 months worth of experience volunteering in various archives over the past couple of years and mostly did cataloguing, conservation and creating audits of archive holdings. With all this in mind, I'm looking at other options.

I studied History at Goldsmiths and got a 2:2. In terms of skills that I can offer, I feel that my greatest strengths include writing fluidly and effectively, working with written information, researching information, maintaining records, checking detail and following or creating procedures, writing reports, presenting an argument and arguing a case. I am also able to learn new information easily and learn how to use new technology quickly.

I took the surveys offered by Next Step last week and one of the suggestions that it came back with was paralegal. Looking at the profile for it, it seems that most of my strengths are among the skills required for the job and therefore it might well be a good choice to go for. I can apparently join a law firm in admin role and study for paralegal qualifications while working.

What I'd like to ask people on here is this: do I stand a decent chance of getting into this profession with the skills and experience that I currently have and is it therefore worth trying? I would also like to ask if anyone can suggest any other careers that they think would be suited to me judging by what I have said in this post.

I welcome any advice that you can give me. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortuately in this job climate you wont get a paralegal job without a law degree/gdl and are extremely unlikely to get one without an lpc/bvc on top. You might get an office junior job in a law firm and if they spot your potential work your way up.

However with a 2.2 history degree your best bet is probably to try to pursue teaching or keep going with the museum work if you can afford to keep voluteering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMQ)
    Unfortuately in this job climate you wont get a paralegal job without a law degree/gdl and are extremely unlikely to get one without an lpc/bvc on top. You might get an office junior job in a law firm and if they spot your potential work your way up.

However with a 2.2 history degree your best bet is probably to try to pursue teaching or keep going with the museum work if you can afford to keep voluteering.
    I would definitely not be suited to teaching so that's a non-starter. I can't really keep volunteering either as I've been on JSA for a few months now and I want to get off it ASAP.

You said I might be able to get an office junior job in a law firm. What sites can I used to find such work?

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard to believe that you cannot get enough experience of volunteering in an archive. Whilst local authority run archives may have limited opportunities, there are plenty of other organisations that are awash with material and few people to do the work.

Looking at current vacancies, the National Maritime Museum, the Strawberry Hill Trust (who want three), the De Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre and Oxhey Library are all seeking volunteers in London at present and that is only the groups advertising on one volunteering site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I find it hard to believe that you cannot get enough experience of volunteering in an archive. Whilst local authority run archives may have limited opportunities, there are plenty of other organisations that are awash with material and few people to do the work.

Looking at current vacancies, the National Maritime Museum, the Strawberry Hill Trust (who want three), the De Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre and Oxhey Library are all seeking volunteers in London at present and that is only the groups advertising on one volunteering site.
    Could you send me a link to that please?

Volunteering is all well and good but I need to start earning some money soon. I'm getting fed up of having to go to my local job centre and signing on and I want to show that I am capable of working AND being paid for it as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akmd)
    Could you send me a link to that please?

Volunteering is all well and good but I need to start earning some money soon. I'm getting fed up of having to go to my local job centre and signing on and I want to show that I am capable of working AND being paid for it as well.
    http://www.do-it.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akmd)
    I would definitely not be suited to teaching so that's a non-starter. I can't really keep volunteering either as I've been on JSA for a few months now and I want to get off it ASAP.

You said I might be able to get an office junior job in a law firm. What sites can I used to find such work?
    this sort of thing - although you dont say if you actually have any paid work experience

http://jobs.guardian.co.uk/job/10464...ed-solicitors/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMQ)
    this sort of thing - although you dont say if you actually have any paid work experience

http://jobs.guardian.co.uk/job/10464...ed-solicitors/
    I don't. I've never been paid for any of the work experience that I've had.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akmd)
    I don't. I've never been paid for any of the work experience that I've had.
    You'd be very unlikely to get a job as a paralegal with a law degree or LPC. Would it not be possible for you to have a part-time job and volunteer at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Songeuse)
    You'd be very unlikely to get a job as a paralegal with a law degree or LPC. Would it not be possible for you to have a part-time job and volunteer at the same time?
    I think you mean that I would be unlikely to get a job as a paralegal WITHOUT a law degree or LPC.

Are you saying that my best chance is to do a law conversion degree and try and work part-time or volunteer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmaus)
    Would not advise this as GDL costs about 8,000 for the year and lots of firms want their paralegals to have the LPC too, which takes another year and costs about the same. This is way too much to pay out for the chance to be considered for paralegal jobs!

I think the lack of paid work experience is probably holding you back. Have you tried going through a temping agency to get paid experience of office work?
    I have considered doing that but I've had difficulty finding posts that don't require prior experience. Where's a good place to look for such opportunities?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.