Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want to convince him to get one, when he clearly doesn't want one? Do your parents work? Who will be with the dog during the day? Do you have a garden? Perhaps your parents can't afford a dog - you don't know what their financial circumstances are.

You are also going to Uni so who will be left looking after the dog then? Dogs live for many years and are a huge expense - what about when you go on holiday or leave home permanently? Perhaps your parents are looking forward to having more time to do things they want when you go to Uni and don't want the tie of a dog.

Suggest you give up trying to "convince your dad to buy a dog" and if you are that desperate to be around dogs, then why don't you go and help out at your local animal shelter after school every day and weekends.

ReputationRep:
    Don't, I tried for ages and he didn't get one. He got us a cat however and it's great

ReputationRep:
    If they want a dog that much then they won't need to be convinced?

ReputationRep:
    Having a dog is a huge commitment- they can live for a verrry long time, are more expensive than you might think, and tend to wreck your house when they're puppies! So it's a lot to think about.. and if it's your Dad's flat, he has the final say

I know how you feel though, I've always wanted a dog!

ReputationRep:
    yo dogg get me a dog

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    ohh you want a dog just to suck you off that is so wrong just go die

ReputationRep:
    Say you like it doggy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insertnamehere)
    Yeah, I've wanted one since I was 2 (acc to my mum) but for exactly the reasons you mentioned, I didn't insist too much. Now dad's retired though, and when he starts going stir-crazy out of boredom, he's going to be grateful for that dog! I've pulled out my trump card - mum - and if she can't convince him, then I'll give up. Again.
    Awww. Just remember when you have your own place you'll be able to have as many dogs as you like!

ReputationRep:
    "buy a dog you ****"

ReputationRep:
    if your parents both wanted a dog they'd get one.
    you personally aren't in a position to get a dog so I wouldn't push it.

ReputationRep:
    My mum and I tried to convince my dad for years that we should have a dog - I love them, we're all very active, my dad works from home and they have a big house and a couple of acres of land, basically the perfect home for having a dog. It never worked - mostly because my dad doesn't have any personal experience of keeping dogs and has never been keen on them, plus he was worried that he'd end up having to look after the thing. When I moved out, my OH and I got two rescue lurchers and based upon them, my dad is suddenly keen on the idea of having a dog! Bloody typical!

OP, from my experience, I'd say just wait until you move out - don't try and persuade your parents on the basis that it'll keep them company and give them some interest when you go off to uni - if they decide that they want a dog, they'll have one. They probably don't want to be dumped wih the responsibility of keeping the dog when you're no longer there to look after it and trust me, dogs are a HUGE responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds to me like you just want them to get a dog for you, rather than for them. You're going to university. So if you get a dog, you're going to bond with it, then leave it for weeks at a time when you're studying. Sounds incredibly selfish to me...

ReputationRep:
    You say you've promised them you'll look after it... then you say til you bugger off to uni and leave it with them for the majority of its life My dad wants one too but my mum knows it'd just be left with her when dad goes away, so despite the big farm and lots of space, I've never had a dog. I was going to get one for my dad for Xmas as he retired a few months ago but I think my mum would kill me lol

ReputationRep:
    Tell them you want an elephant. Annoy them with this for a week.

Then, ask for a python. Pester them for yet another week

After two week of you whining for an elephant/python, they will be much more keen on the idea of you getting a dog.

ReputationRep:
    just find a dog that's sooo cute he can't refuse. Thats's what my mum did to persuade my dad. He hated animals but now he loves our puppy!!

ReputationRep:
    Tell him: Your wife's a dog, and you put up with her.

ReputationRep:
    If you live in a flat, is that really a good lifestyle for a dog? I'd hate to think that a dog wouldn't have free access to a garden whenever it needed it - and I just can't see how apartment life can work for such active animals.

Dogs take a lot more care then just training. They also cost a lot. Assuming you get it from a puppy - cost wise you're looking at £200+ depending on breed, pedigree ect. Then inoculations (£70), neutering (£150) food (£???) equipment (leads, toys ect. £???). As the puppy gets older, cost of ruined furnishings (£200+++) and subsequent vet bills (£???)

To look after it, you need to get up nice and early every day, feed it, let it out, walk it, play with it, train it, play again, short nap, feed, let out, play, train, let out, feed, let out. It's a pretty hectic day.

Can you really manage and afford a puppy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragnar_jonsson)
    Tell them you want an elephant. Annoy them with this for a week.

Then, ask for a python. Pester them for yet another week

After two week of you whining for an elephant/python, they will be much more keen on the idea of you getting a dog.
    hahaha that's hilarious! :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    I have had dogs all my life, from a baby until I was 16 we had a collie. When he died, my dad never wanted another dog (I think he was really upset and didnt want to go through the grief again) Put it this way, we lasted 3 months without a dog and now we have quite a few.
    My advice would be to prove that you can be responsible (Get a job at a pet shop or an adoption centre) This will show your parents that you can cope with a dog, or offer to look after a friends dog over the weekend or while they are on holiday. Make sure that you have a park, or land nearby though so that you can take the dogs out on long walks and this will also show you the difficulties involved and the resposibility that comes with having pets (no more lie-ins)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.