lets have an UNBIASED discussion about our experience with moderators. Watch

• View Poll Results: what has your experience made you think of moderators
    moderators are fine as they are.
    66.67%
    moderators abuse their authority by handing out too many warnings when not needed, bias, inconsistent, etc.
    25.00%
    there are too many moderators.
    5.56%
    there aren't enough moderators around.
    2.78%

ReputationRep:
    My last thread was described as biased by moderators, therefore I have decided to make a more unbiased thread about everyone's experience with moderators.

Some people may think that moderators do a good job by cutting out spam on threads, and I'm sure some do help people by doing things like that.
    However some may think that moderators abuse their authority, are inconsistent, unfair and bias.

I will not tell you my opinion, because I'm being fair......right?

But I want to know yours, as I'm sure the moderators do also.

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    They ruin the TSR experience for me.

ReputationRep:
    Any forum would be worse off without moderators than it is now with whatever amount of unfair and bias things happen, nuff said.

ReputationRep:
    I think moderators are here for our safety

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m:)ckel)
    They ruin the TSR experience for me.
    In YOUR OWN WORDS, why is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by My Life)
    I think moderators are here for our safety
    what, like stopping us falling down manholes and stuff

I know what you mean, but What I am asking is this:

Moderators are here for our safety and well being, but do they always do the job they are surposed to (ie in the correct way, as described in my OP)?

ReputationRep:
    Inconsistent and in some cases incompetent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    In YOUR OWN WORDS, why is that?
    I'm not too sure, you told me to say it

ReputationRep:
    I've never had any bad experiences with mods, and they seem to post pretty good stuff.
    Why do you think they're biased/unfair/whatever?

ReputationRep:
    what, like stopping us falling down manholes and stuff

I know what you mean, but What I am asking is this:

Moderators are here for our safety and well being, but do they always do the job they are surposed to (ie in the correct way, as described in my OP)?
    Yes your right Well lets just say they are good.

ReputationRep:
    lol, I told you to say it!

I just wondered why you feel the way you do? and I'm sure the mod's would be interested also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    I've never had any bad experiences with mods, and they seem to post pretty good stuff.
    Why do you think they're biased/unfair/whatever?
    As the thread starter, the mods clearly feel (through correspondence with me) that I cannot give my opinion without making the thread bias.

But anyway, my PERSONAL experience is that, although they may delete spam etc, they sometimes give out warnings when not needed, they warn OP's for starting a thread when someone else gets abusive on the thread, they are (IN MY EXPERIENCE) inconsistent, bias and (AS ANOTHER USER SAID) incompetent.

I, AND THE MODERATORS, WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT OTHER PEOPLE'S EXPERIENCES ARE.

ReputationRep:
    I am failing to understand why people have any problem with the mods? The system on TSR is such that you have to try pretty dam hard to get banned anyway.

ReputationRep:
    As the thread starter, the mods clearly feel (through correspondence with me) that I cannot give my opinion without making the thread bias.

But anyway, my PERSONAL experience is that, although they may delete spam etc, they sometimes give out warnings when not needed, they warn OP's for starting a thread when someone else gets abusive on the thread, they are (IN MY EXPERIENCE) inconsistent, bias and (AS ANOTHER USER SAID) incompetent.

I, AND THE MODERATORS, WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT OTHER PEOPLE'S EXPERIENCES ARE.
    Your use of capitals worries me.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day moderators are also human. Sure they might make what you would consider "a mistake" every now and then, but when it comes down to it they do a pretty good job around here in my opinion. I certainly can't think of an incident where I thought they've done something totally "unfair" or committed an "abuse of authority" :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Mods used to give me loads of warning points for no reason a while back.

That doesnt seem to happen anymore.

That being said, I quite like a lot of the spam/troll threads, theyre fun. Also, threads should be locked instead of deleted. I remember a lot of lulzy threads that I'd like to see again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelephant)
    At the end of the day moderators are also human. Sure they might make what you would consider "a mistake" every now and then, but when it comes down to it they do a pretty good job around here in my opinion. I certainly can't think of an incident where I thought they've done something totally "unfair" or committed an "abuse of authority" :dontknow:

BOLD: you...what :eek:

Anyway, the poll so far shows that half of people who voted on it either think there are too many moderators, or that the moderators don't do what they are surposed to in the correct way. Now I understand that most users will not have had an experience with a moderator, which, lets be honest, may 'shift' the results of the poll in some way. But it is still worrying (given my personal experiences) that 50% (so far) think that something is wrong, don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    Haha love this.

Go and join another forum site if you're unhappy here.
    And stop being annoying.
    Geez.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone should be given mod powers :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, on the whole they're pretty good. Although once I got warned for "Trolling" by making a new thread to ask a question that hadn't been answered sufficiently in my other thread. I was just like :lolwut:

But most of the time they're good, they definitely make TSR a better place in my opinion :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.