Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How hard is first year fluid mechanics generally? Is it a difficult subject to learn by yourself?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilettante_East)
    How hard is first year fluid mechanics generally? Is it a difficult subject to learn by yourself?

thanks
    It's all relative. At my university and other top ones, it's extremely difficult because you need to know how to derive fluid theory. At most other universities, you only need to reciprocate and apply said theory which is still difficult, but nothing compared to deriving.

Again, it depends on your university as to whether you need to learn it by yourself. I would strongly recommend going to every fluids lecture, because at least at my university, the lecturer is able to explain fluid theory very well. I wasn't a particularly good student in level 1, and got the end of a sharp stick for not turning up to some of the fluid mechanics lectures. I found it very difficult to catch up with the lecture notes and textbooks.

ReputationRep:
    oh thanks for the reply. I'm a year 1 student and I want to transfer to a uni closer to me in London (ie. City ) but I dont do Fluid mechanics untill next year.
    Is year 1 fluids really as difficult as you're saying it is? I know everybody is different and some learn things quicker than others and all that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilettante_East)
    oh thanks for the reply. I'm a year 1 student and I want to transfer to a uni closer to me in London (ie. City ) but I dont do Fluid mechanics untill next year.
    Is year 1 fluids really as difficult as you're saying it is? I know everybody is different and some learn things quicker than others and all that.
    Funny you ask that. My level 1 fluid mechanics module was focused primarily on statics, whilst my current level 2 fluid mechanics module is mostly dynamics, which I'm stronger at. Granted, had I turned up to more lectures, perhaps I could have done better in my first fluids module. It was definitely one of the more difficult modules I had done in year one, and I ended up scoring amongst the low end of my year one module scores (64%).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.