Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

****, do I need to get this investigated? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have migraines - have had them for a while. Today, I had what I was dismissing as another migraine, but now I'm in a clearer state of mind, it was really very odd and I'm not sure it was a migraine at all.

- it happened at an unusual time - I usually get them in the evening (although not always), but this was at midday;
    - I usually have very visual auras, but there was none of that. In fact, my only neurological disturbance was double vision in my left eye and word confusion;
    - my head actually hurts. This may sound strange for a headache disorder, but I very rarely get an actual headache with it;
    - I had moments where I think I was out of it. I was in the middle of watching TV, then next thing I know it's much darker outside and the plot's moved on;
    - the left side of my body (same side that had the double vision) feels very weak - my grip in my left hand isn't as good, can't hold my left arm as steady and my left leg feels numb;
    - my hands and feet keep on shaking ... and I'm not cold.

Do I need to get this checked out as something that isn't a migraine, or could I just be experiencing a different form of it?

ReputationRep:
    No idea on what it was, but if it wasn't normal for you then probably worth getting it checked out just to be sure?

ReputationRep:
    :doctor:

ReputationRep:
    Not sure tbh you should get it checked out. How's your sleeping pattern? I have a lot of those symptoms when I do all nighters, especially the shakiness and cold feeling But with migranes it can be anything so definitely see a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    sounds bad dude, haul ass to the doctors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I have migraines - have had them for a while. Today, I had what I was dismissing as another migraine, but now I'm in a clearer state of mind, it was really very odd and I'm not sure it was a migraine at all.

- it happened at an unusual time - I usually get them in the evening (although not always), but this was at midday;
    - I usually have very visual auras, but there was none of that. In fact, my only neurological disturbance was double vision in my left eye and word confusion;
    - my head actually hurts. This may sound strange for a headache disorder, but I very rarely get an actual headache with it;
    - I had moments where I think I was out of it. I was in the middle of watching TV, then next thing I know it's much darker outside and the plot's moved on;
    - the left side of my body (same side that had the double vision) feels very weak - my grip in my left hand isn't as good, can't hold my left arm as steady and my left leg feels numb;

Do I need to get this checked out as something that isn't a migraine, or could I just be experiencing a different form of it?
    I had this.
    Mine went a bit further though and when i tried to speak, it would come out as some weird kinda noises. After, my whole mouth went numb. I couldn't see, i couldn't communicate, i could barely move.

That initial thing went on for about 3 hours. After that i was left with a headache for about 2 days.

I think mine was decided to be 'Migraine with Aura'.

But i had about 5 EEG scans, because they all kept coming back with inconclusive information. They checked me for seizures and crap.

So it's worth getting it checked =)

ReputationRep:
    Not to alarm you but it sounds like a stroke?, mini one maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly hemiplegic migraines by the sounds of the left side paralysis... just a guess. Id get over to the GPs and hopefully you'll get referred to a neurologist.

ReputationRep:

You should get this checked out immediately... Some of these symptoms are those of brain tumors/aneurysms/stroke. I hope it's nothing but on the chance that it is then time is money. My brothers girl friend has an aneurysm and they are taking absolutely ages to get her in for surgery, it's pretty shocking.

ReputationRep:
    You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by getting it checked out.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it is a stroke. It's either a progression of your current migraines or something else...

In general how is your vision atm compared to usual?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markrush)
    I don't think it is a stroke. It's either a progression of your current migraines or something else...

In general how is your vision atm compared to usual?
    Perfectly fine - I fell asleep and, when I woke up, the double vision had gone. The weakness has also improved; still not back to normal, but only just noticeable. The shaking has stopped.

I think it is a progression, maybe into hemiplegic (a subset of aura migraines - I've had those for a while); I'm now getting all the other crap I usually do afterwards like ear pain and neck/shoulder stiffness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwoTimesTwo)
    Possibly hemiplegic migraines by the sounds of the left side paralysis... just a guess. Id get over to the GPs and hopefully you'll get referred to a neurologist.
    I think this sounds very likely - I've had the migraines with auras for a while, seems reasonable they could have become worse. Most of the problems I had have resolved, and the others are resolving ... and I'm getting the things I usually do after a migraine.

ReputationRep:

Try ringing NHS direct.

ReputationRep:
    Perfectly fine - I fell asleep and, when I woke up, the double vision had gone. The weakness has also improved; still not back to normal, but only just noticeable. The shaking has stopped.

I think it is a progression, maybe into hemiplegic (a subset of aura migraines - I've had those for a while); I'm now getting all the other crap I usually do afterwards like ear pain and neck/shoulder stiffness.
    Then I would also say a brain issue is highly unlikely. The two people I know who had tumours were both first diagnosed due to vision problems.

You can breathe out now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KellyWellyWoo537)
    Try ringing NHS direct.
    Best answer FOR NOW though, although they dont diagnose, theyll most likely tell you to make an appt
    by the way, when you say your actual head hurts, do you mean touching your head in some places hurt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markrush)
    Then I would also say a brain issue is highly unlikely. The two people I know who had tumours were both first diagnosed due to vision problems.

You can breathe out now
    Indeed. No, it's all gone away or improving apart from my usual post-migraine problems setting in, so knowing that I am a sufferer, it seems more likely that I experienced a different sort of migraine.

(Original post by clad in armour)
    by the way, when you say your actual head hurts, do you mean touching your head in some places hurt?
    No, it was just a normal headache, I was just surprised because I don't tend to get headaches in migraines.

ReputationRep:
    with NHS direct, whatever they tell you see a doctor as well
    they told someone who had a heart attack that it was indigestion
    they told someone to walk off a fractured ankle
    its very hard to diagnose someone without actually seeing them

ReputationRep:
    You might want to get it checked out to be on the safe side, especially since all these unusual symptoms have come on all at once, but I don't think it's unusual per sé for your migraine symptoms to change or to get the odd migraine that's not the same.

I've had migraines with aura since I was ten and do get a headache, so it was odd when a few weeks ago I had a migraine without one. It was quite weird for me, and it lasted 3-4 days as well when usually I get the aura and headache phase within a few hours, and then feel tired/depressed for about a day/two afterwards; but this time instead I just got all my usual aura symptoms-couldn't focus, went all clumsy, got pins and needles down my face, felt sick, my neck ached...but no real headache showed up. :dontknow:

I wouldn't automatically assume it means your migraines are in general getting worse though, it may just be a one off.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    sounds like a migrane but a really bad one saying that... my sister has horrible migranes (very similar to yours) but she has some tablets she carries with her everywhere and she takes the second she feels one coming on. they dont stop it but they reeeally reduce the symptoms def go to your doctor tho!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.