Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Intern/Teaching EFL etc in BRIC countries Watch

ReputationRep:
    Brazil - Russia - India - China.
    Because these countries are developing at such a fast rate, they have caught my attention as the place to travel to. However, I don't have much money due to living costs atm. Do you think that there is any way I could obtain a internship in the financial/educational sector in those countries? I have seen a lot of sponsored programs but they are generally only for people that are already in uni - I'm 19 this month though? (you don't need to get me a present )

many thanks for your ideas/suggestions
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I can't tell you much about Russia and India but I'm looking at doing TEFL in China next year and have looked into the idea of teaching English in Brazil as well (which really would be my dream destination).

From all the information I've read and people I've spoken to, I gather it is rather difficult to find a job teaching English in Brazil for a number of reasons. Firstly, getting a work visa as a foreigner is a difficult and complicated process and you've got next to no chance of getting one as employers simply aren't willing to sponsor you because it's such a pain in the arse. As I understand it, the difficulty stems from the fact the government don't see recruiting foreign nationals to teach English as a priority as there a large number of natives who can teach English to a high standard. This means the only option would be to work on a tourist visa, which would be a illegal, although many people do do this. But when you factor in the relatively high rates of unemployment in Brazil and the low wages vs. the cost in living in places like Rio and Sao Paulo... well, it hardly makes the risk of working illegally there worth it. Basically, unless you have a job lined up in Brazil that requires what the government or employers deem to be a unique skill set, you aren't getting a work permit. And without a work permit, things sound pretty sketchy and not worth the hassle.

Now, with regards to China, things are a lot easier. The requirement to teach English there is simply holding a degree (any degree) and being native to a English-speaking country. Obviously, holding a TEFL certificate, having teaching experience etc. is going to put you in a much stronger position to secure better jobs, but the demand for English teachers is such that you should be able to find a job out there without there. I am applying to a programme run via a UK institution so I would have a job sorted before I went, but apparantly it isn't too hard to find a job once you've landed if you just go door to door to every English school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malkmus)
    I am applying to a programme run via a UK institution so I would have a job sorted before I went, but apparantly it isn't too hard to find a job once you've landed if you just go door to door to every English school.
    can i ask u what institution you secured the job through? i really want to get a job teaching english in malaysia but have no idea how to even start looking

ReputationRep:
    Yeah same, I would not trust myself to go to the otherside of the world with no guarenteed plans. i know i know, wheres my sense of adventure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thats_my_poison)
    can i ask u what institution you secured the job through? i really want to get a job teaching english in malaysia but have no idea how to even start looking
    I've not secured a place yet as the applications aren't open yet. The programme is called TEIC (Teaching English in China). If you're specifically interested in teaching english in Malaysia, I suggest just going googling anything relevent and going through all the search results. Reading forums related to TEFL in Asia are also a fantastic resource and provide fascinating insights.

ReputationRep:
    malkmus: you seem very in-the-know - do you know if you can do teach for just a few months, like 3months or so? i only have 8mths off so i want to relax and travel too and not just work

ReputationRep:
    I definitely wouldn't claim to be in the know... I've just read around a lot as teaching English abroad is something I'm pretty set on doing!

I'd say it's more difficult to find something before going away that doesn't tie you down to a year contract. There'll be enough casual, (most probably) low-hour jobs you can get once you're out there if you're prepared to put the leg work in from what I've heard... obviously depending on where you're going. Having said that (not that I condone it...) there's often seemingly very few repercussions if you just decide to up it and leave before your contract's up, you'll just lose any entitlements that contract may have gotten you (eg. bonus, free flight home etc.) If you're planning on only working for 3 months, I'd head to your country of choice at least 4 months before with enough money to last you for a while and spend a month looking for something. Somebody will eventually give you some hours, even if it's only a trial or covering or something.

ReputationRep:
    Is it really that easy?! ahah. Just what with backdrop of global recession and the hysteria about being unable to find a job in this country... naturally find it hard to take in about another country. Thanks for your help though, i'll just have to keep on researching. Good luck, let me know the outcome of your application as well xxx

ReputationRep:
    The density of English schools in certain Asian countries is ridiculous and considering the population density as a whole and the fact that reaching a certain level of proficiency in English is a requirement to attend Universities in some countries, I believe, then you can see why there is such a demand.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.