Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My issues essay is on immigration in the uk and its economic effect. My previous title was "The Economic Impact of Immigration into the UK", but my teacher told me to change it to "Immigration into the UK: gain or drain on the economy?"

I feel this change was a bit odd. The title she suggests seems a bit meh to be honest. Any opinions?

Also, are you summarising your sources, or just analysing them and giving details as to what the arguments say throughout your essay? We got an exemplar essay that received an A, and they hadn't summarised their sources at all.

ReputationRep:
    Both titles are good, the second one just seems a little snazzier.

I'm doing it on super dairies and I've not even started :| I will probably summarise my sources, though. The examples we've seen all do.

ReputationRep:
    The second title asks a question - in particular an "either/or" style question that plays two sides against each other. IIRC the Geography Issues was exactly that - you took one side of the argument, pitched it against the other and drew your own conclusion.

The examples we were given gave the background, introduced the two sides (assessment of the credibility of sources was as important as what they were saying), summarised their arguments, analysed the two arguments and then made the author's argument for one side or the other or even some other conclusion inbetween.

ReputationRep:
    They both sound like good titles. I think I'm doing my essay on France and its nuclear policies. I've seen a couple of A exemplars and what they did was introduce the topic/give background then summarise (2 paragraphs, not much at all) each source then they analysed each source and came to an overall conclusion having analysed the sources. Another thing was there were lots of diagrams in them so they didn't have to explain everything in writing the whole time (I think there's a page limit although the word limit has gone) Good luck in your essay and your other courses too!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.