Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student loan for academic year 2011/12 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to go to uni next year when do I start looking into getting student finance?

ReputationRep:
    No one knows because the SLC haven't released any information. You can't even base it on when they opened in previous years anymore as last year they had already opened for new applications by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jobabu1912)
    I've applied to go to uni next year when do I start looking into getting student finance?
    As soon as it opens, not sure when that is though, 'cause Student Finance are completely useless and it'll take ages for them to process your application.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/index.htm

Anyone know when their website will update with 2011/12 info?

ReputationRep:
    It will be a while before it updates because a lot of the Local Authorities are handing their powers up to SFE.

I imagine you should be able to apply by mid-late February though.

ReputationRep:
    It's just like any other question regardless student finance..

Nobody knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jobabu1912)
    (From Direct.gov website)

"Applying for 2011/12 finance?

Returning full-time students can apply for 2011/12 finance from 14 February.

New full-time students will be able to apply for 2011/12 finance from 16 March."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    (From Direct.gov website)

"Applying for 2011/12 finance?

Returning full-time students can apply for 2011/12 finance from 14 February.

New full-time students will be able to apply for 2011/12 finance from 16 March."
    Argh I listened to some one who said as a new full time student I can apply tomorrow. More fool me. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Where is the best sites to look for these student loans/grants etc and do you have to make several applications to do this?

Whats the best banks to get a student loan from?

sorry lots of questions... but all of this confuses me lol

ReputationRep:
    You apply via
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/index.htm
    anytime after March 16th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahlouise15488)
    Where is the best sites to look for these student loans/grants etc and do you have to make several applications to do this?

Whats the best banks to get a student loan from?

sorry lots of questions... but all of this confuses me lol
    Lol. The government gives you student loans. Their are two types: the first is a tuition fee loan (which only covers the cost of your tuition), the second is a maintenance loan (which covers the cost of living as a student).

The amount for a tuition fee loan your entitled to is up to £3375 (the maximum any university can charge for 2011 entry).

The amount of maintenance loan you can receive depends on whether you'll be living at home or at university, while a student. The maximum amount for those living at home is £3483 and £4583 for those living away from home.

You can also get a maintenance grant (which is non-repayable) depending on your financial background. The maximum grant you can receive is £2906 - for a household income of up to £25,000.

Seem to have a serious problem with my tuition fee loan, haven't sent this off yet, but this is the summary I'm seeing:

Type: Maintenance Loan
      Amount Requested: £0.00
      Amount you may be entitled to: £2,719.00

Type: Tuition Fee Loan
      Amount Requested: Maximum
      Amount you may be entitled to: £0.00

Type: HE Maintenance Grant
      Amount requested: N/A
      Amount you may be entitled to: £(What they're giving me)

What's with the £0.00 for my tuition loan?! I'm a continuing student who will be starting second year in September... I need the maximum amount :/ Which as you can see I've requested...

EDIT: Called Student Finance NI. The guy on the phone couldn't see anything wrong with my application that would be causing it to revert to £0.00, and said that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem and that several cases of it have been reported today. He said keep trying anyway, and he'll pass it on to the web development team and they'll e-mail me. He said if it still hasn't changed in a week that I'm to call back. Just for the benefit of anyone else experiencing this.

ReputationRep:
      Does anyone know if when you make the proper application for 11/12 finance it takes your household income from 09/10 rather than 10/11?

Because on the calculator it asks "Please enter your parents, step-parents or parents' partner's estimated gross earned income for the financial year 6/4/2009 to 5/4/2010" which seems strange

ReputationRep:
      It isn't strange.
      They've always done it like that because self employed may not have any figures until after the deadline.
      It is 2009-10 they're going off for 2011 -12 finance.

ReputationRep:
      Good stuff.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.