Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    1. If I do a masters in financial maths, say like LSE/Oxford/Imperial or any other uni etc... and i decide to apply for a job ------- Do I apply for the analyst or associate programme in investment banks? Can I go straight into the associate programme or do I have to go start at the analyst position? I do not have work experience (only summer internships etc.. but not full time)

2. If I do not intend to become a quant, should I rather do an MBA or something more rigorous like Msc Financial Maths?

Many thanks, and most appreciate for any comments.

ReputationRep:
    1. analyst.

2. obviously don't do an MBA with no business experience.

ReputationRep:
    Depending on the university you choose and its affiliations with the industry, there is the possibility to apply for direct entry jobs. These will be different from typical graduate jobs, usually sent from an IB to your uni and simply requiring a CV put forward. They will be specific roles applying the mathematics you have learnt on the course such as in market risk, exotic products trading etc. Interviews are less onerous but more technical, so if you are strong at mathematics then this could be an easier route into investment banking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vice Analyst)
    Depending on the university you choose and its affiliations with the industry, there is the possibility to apply for direct entry jobs. These will be different from typical graduate jobs, usually sent from an IB to your uni and simply requiring a CV put forward. They will be specific roles applying the mathematics you have learnt on the course such as in market risk, exotic products trading etc. Interviews are less onerous but more technical, so if you are strong at mathematics then this could be an easier route into investment banking.
    Not a word of this was directed at the OPs questions

ReputationRep:
    Refers to question one on the jobs available to MSFM students.......didn't think I really had to point that out to you clever folk........

ReputationRep:
    isn't MSFM good enough for quant assoc roles?

ReputationRep:
    You really need to go the whole hog and get a PhD to really guarantee a quant role. A MSFM will typically get you mathematically geared roles that may just require an appreciation of the underlying model or process driving the value (i.e. such as for interest rate derivatives) - something undergraduates may have touched on but not learnt in as much granularity as on an MSFM.

Though if you can prove your ability to a prospective employer by doing a dissertation in the industry or applicable to current market products then you have a greater chance of some kind of quasi quant role. Most people I know who did the course ended up doing trading, leveraging off the back of the high level of mathematics - which, although disputed, the City still creams over.

ReputationRep:
    Always wondered how much quant associates get paid relative to normal associates?

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone, just wondering --- would doing a masters in financial maths boost/increase my chances of getting a job, compared to other people just applying after a 3 year undergrad degree?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.