Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys : )
    Just got a quick question is newton's second law of motion:

F=MA.

The resultant force acted on a object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration.

In an exam, if the marks for this question was 2 marks, would I get them ?

: )

ReputationRep:
    exam board is AQA . as level btw

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i reckon so. There isn't much more information to be gained from that simplified version so i guess youre right

I think marks are for resultant force and directly proportional

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KiiNG.C)
    Hi guys : )
    Just got a quick question is newton's second law of motion:

F=MA.

The resultant force acted on a object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration.

In an exam, if the marks for this question was 2 marks, would I get them ?

: )
    Newton's second law of motion:

The acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force acting on an object and inversely proportional to the mass of the object, and it accelerates in the same direction that the force is applied.
    F=MA.

I don't think you can say that it is proportional to it's mass, because a change in mass doesn't change the force, just the acceleration.

ReputationRep:
    If we're being picky, F = ma isn't Newton's second law.

Newton's second law is that the Resultant force is directly proportional to the rate of change of momentum.

F = ma is actually a special case of Newton's second law where the mass remains constant. This is how we get it:

Newton's second law states that F = (mv-mu)/t
    If mass is constant, F = (m(v-u))/t
    v-u/t = acceleration, therefore
    F = ma.

Though I'm not sure how it's worded in your specification.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.