Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

Being from the Czech Republic, I would like to know what's the opinion of British lads and lasses on Skodas. Be honest, please!

ReputationRep:
    Depends what model your looking at. All manufactures produce good and bad cars!

ReputationRep:
    I think their quality has improved a considerable amount since they were purchased by Volkswagen. Still think that there is a stigma there though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motorsportUK)
    Depends what model your looking at. All manufactures produce good and bad cars!
    Well, I think that Fabia is the most common in the UK followed by Octavia. So these two maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Skodas are made of cake!

ReputationRep:
    Gone are the days of having heated rear windscreens for keeping your hands warm for pushing Skodas are now more popular than ever, and thanks to the VW platforms, it's like having a Golf, Polo or Passat for the fraction of the price, yet you can equip them as much, and still have more money at the same time. Also, afaik they also use VW engines, so you do get the reliability of a quality German car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJay91)
    Well, I think that Fabia is the most common in the UK followed by Octavia. So these two maybe?
    They are good cars IMO its like any car it depends what you want it for. They are not the most attractive of cars but mechanically they are good as long as they are serviced correctly. The Police in my area uses Skodas which shows you how reliable etc they are.

I hope that helps you out

ReputationRep:
    Bland design, v good reliability - the Czech Toyota.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mistermeowingtons)
    I think their quality has improved a considerable amount since they were purchased by Volkswagen. Still think that there is a stigma there though.
    I'm not sure whether it was a good step or not. Volkswagen now limits the production of Skodas because they're becoming ''too successful''. On the other hand, if Volkswagen didn't buy them, they wouldn't be that successful worldwide.

ReputationRep:
    All the unreilability of a VW for a fraction of the cost. I've got a Fabia vRS map'd to 180bhp and 312 torques and it is a great little car to drive. The rear doors leaked water in (common fault), all four doors suffered paint 'bubbling' due to water being trapped behind the rubbing strips (common fault), the blower rheostat has failed (common fault), console bushes failed (common fault) and the rear screen heater blows its fuses constantly (common fault (water from rear washer pipe leaks onto connector)). Nothing major that leaves you stranded at the roadside, but all has a cost and inconvenience.
    My Dad has an Octavia and that has had a new seat squab as the fabric came apart, the seat height adjuster is dodgy, the radio ariel amplifier has corroded (common fault), the engine light is mostly on (oil pressure sensor (common)), the airbag warning light is permanently on (common fault - dodgy connections in passenger seat) and the halogen headlights are woeful (common as the units are designed to take HID's to encourage the £500 upgrade).
    The Subaru I had before the Fabia ran faultlessly for 3 years, as has every Japanese car anyone I know has ever owned. VAG (Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, Skoda) are rubbish ! The local Audi main dealer service manager confided in me last year that they were running at 87% of all cars needing 'major' (cost in excess of £1000) warranty repairs.

ReputationRep:
    They are basically like cheaply built VWs IMO. Build quality is particularly noticable on small things, like door handles and controls - however at the end of the day these are budget cars and therefore this is to be expected!

They are frequently used by the police and minicabbists and therefore this suggests that they must be fairly cheap to run, and hard wearing. I wouldn't say that a Skoda is anyone's dream car, but you could do far far worse - and they have come on a long way.

Also, I think the Superb is awesome (I've not been in one, mind). They look very much like BMWs from a certain angle, and I get the impression they are really well built.

ReputationRep:
    I have a Fabia VRS.

Very nice car, cheap to run, fast etc.

ReputationRep:
    Its a VW in Skoda clothing. The only thing that could be widely considered "bad" is that its a Skoda, such is that negative stigma that goes with the badge. Personally, if there was a Skoda that appealed to me I probably wouldn't be put off buying it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mistermeowingtons)
    Yeah- they werent great before but have improved quite a bit over the years. They are pretty good cars. But all manufacturers have good and bad cars.

ReputationRep:
    I read somewhere that the new Superb was so silent that VW's engineers ordered some of the noise insulation removed so it wouldn't be better than Passat.

ReputationRep:
    Just to add to my list a few posts up, my boot release is now only working occasionally, the drivers door switch is dodgy, and I think my fuel level sensor (float) is stuck as my gauge hasn't moved for 4 days (does when turning engine on/off so needle not stuck). My Dad's Octavia's rear wiper groaned to a halt yesterday too. These things are dreadful !

ReputationRep:
    They are decent cars these days, just a cheap knock-off version of a VW. Nothing wrong with that TBH if all you need is a workhorse to get you to work and back.

Would have bought one, but none of them meet the EuroV emission standards at this point in time................ hence it was a non-starter for me.

ReputationRep:
    I'd have one - I did notice in a minicab that the speedo illumination was red and blue on the same dial which made it difficult to read at night and I think is something that'd keep pissing me off every time.

The old rear engined ones everybody used to joke about used to win a lot of rallys - probably the only thing I miss about them though.

BTW I learned to ride a motorbike on a CZ 125 - which was made in warsaw pact era czecho. The only vehicle I've never lost money on owning
    I thought they were better than the other warsaw pact learner/commuter bike of that era - the MZ from east germany.

ReputationRep:
    they're alright really.
    the designs leave a lot to be desired tbh, most of them look pretty dull.
    obviously its going to depend on the model though.
    my dad's was a decent car to begin with.
    did well on the fuel but the gear box went a bit mental and the engine blew up, but you know... **** happens.

ReputationRep:
    They used to be rubbish, now everyone excepts they are good cars

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2011
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.