Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

iPhone 4 microsim... how to use current contract? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering buying a new iPhone 4 from Apple for xmas (sim free) and use my current contract with Orange which is only £20 pm and 600mins, unlim texts and 500mb data.

BUT my contract still has a year to go and no chance of an early upgrade (cost wouldn't be worth it) So was thinking about buying an iPhone outright and using my current sim. However, just seen they require microSims. So how would this even be possible, or isn't it?!

(Original post by Kidders)
      I'm considering buying a new iPhone 4 from Apple for xmas (sim free) and use my current contract with Orange which is only £20 pm and 600mins, unlim texts and 500mb data.

BUT my contract still has a year to go and no chance of an early upgrade (cost wouldn't be worth it) So was thinking about buying an iPhone outright and using my current sim. However, just seen they require microSims. So how would this even be possible, or isn't it?!
      You realise to get an iphone from Apple, you'd be paying about £400-500 depending on what GB you get? I would just wait until your contract is up, chances are that Apple will have updated the iPhone 4 by then.

It's nice to get an unlocked phone, but the trade off is paying that steep price.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Madjackismad)
      You realise to get an iphone from Apple, you'd be paying about £400-500 depending on what GB you get? I would just wait until your contract is up, chances are that Apple will have updated the iPhone 4 by then.

It's nice to get an unlocked phone, but the trade off is paying that steep price.
      Yeah it was £500 just for the phone. I still have 11 months left on my contract (which seems odd as i'm sure i only signed up for a 12month contract in March!!)

I reckon iPhone 5 will be out by the time i'm done on this contract!

ReputationRep:
      I work for an alternative network in the iPhone team, i'm not sure how Orange do things but many people are buying sim free iPhones and using with there contract sim cards.

Once you have the iPhone, you can phone Orange customer services or visit a store and they will be able to issue you with a micro-sim, then move your existing number from your current sim to the mico-sim. Easy
      That way you can contine using your existing contract with the iPhone.

Any other questions just ask

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by G8D)
      If you do buy it then you can just cut your current SIM so it fits and it will still work, apparently.

Serious?!

ReputationRep:
      It should be perfectly possible for Orange to issue the same contract on a MicroSIM, hence deactivating your current SIM card and letting you keep your contract.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by traveller09)
      I work for an alternative network in the iPhone team, i'm not sure how Orange do things but many people are buying sim free iPhones and using with there contract sim cards.

Once you have the iPhone, you can phone Orange customer services or visit a store and they will be able to issue you with a micro-sim, then move your existing number from your current sim to the mico-sim. Easy
      That way you can contine using your existing contract with the iPhone.

Any other questions just ask
      cool thanks for the info

(Original post by Kidders)
        Yeah it was £500 just for the phone. I still have 11 months left on my contract (which seems odd as i'm sure i only signed up for a 12month contract in March!!)

I reckon iPhone 5 will be out by the time i'm done on this contract!
        I doubt iphone 5 will be out. There will definitely be the upgrade of the iphone 4. Should wait another three years for the next big iphone.

ReputationRep:
        Just cut your current sim card down. As long as you are careful it works fine.
        (source - my own experience).

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 5, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.